Hello from Spain

Elcorzo

Hi all,

I am absolutely mad on stalking and bowhunting. I am living in Asturias, in the north of Spain, a place very peculiar: we have got bears, wolves, chamois, red deer, roe deer, fallow, wild boars and even some ibex. I am stalking, bowhunting and shooting (woodcock, pheasants, ducks and red legged pardrige) 11 months a year, it is quite good, isn´t it?

P1040617.jpg

Ok. I have been stalking once, two years ago, in England for muntjac. It was funny, not many in that moment but pretty nice.

I am veterinary surgeron as well as others members of this forum and have found interesting some of the post here. So I will try to do my best!

Anyway: Sorry because of my bad english!

Regards

Gerardo

Welcome, it sounds like you have some excellent shooting. You are one several non-UK friends here.

Stand by for the questions about your dog! There's a strong canine interest on the forum as well.

S.

Welcome Gerardo. It will interesting to see how the hunting is done in Spain, sounds like you have a lot of good hunting over there

Look forward to reading more

Jonathon

Ok Snowstorm. Yes, I am very proud daschhund owner. I have 3 of them now for tracking wounded animals. Runa is awsome.

cuca.jpg

runa.jpg

If there is somebody Spanish speaker here I´d advice to pay a visit to these sites:

http://www.corzo.info the web site of Spanish Roe Deer Association
http://www.aepes.es the site of Spanish trackers of wounden animal association

Regards

Gerardo

Hi and welcome. I have had a number of Spanish clients over the past 5 years, and they have all been excellant hunters.

Welcome to the site, your english is much better than my Spanish :oops:

Hola

welcome to the site, great to see another teckel owner out there. I greatly admire the Spanish hunting culture and you are lucky to have such diverse hunting oportunities.
Look forward to reading your contributions.

Doghound

Gerardo,

You made it, welcome to the site. What he is not telling you gentlemen is that he happens to be the president of the Spanish roe deer association. I had a look at their website but my Spanish is non existent which is a pity because I bet it is full of interesting things.

John

Gerardo

Hola! Welcome to the site. On the land where I stalk we've had a number of Spanish guests over the years. Their respect for the quarry and enjoyment of the hunt is always noticeable. Hopefully you'll find the site both informative and enjoyable.

willie_gunn

Hola Gerardo

Welcome to the site, I like you are new and your english is a lot better than my spanish will ever be :lol:

RF

Welcome Gerardo
I've taken a couple of Spanish lads out for a friend of mine they swap some hunting with him every year good pair of lads.
If you ever want to swap one of your Chamois for some English Roe, Fallow and Muntjac let me know. :D

Wayne

Wayne, nowadays chamois is a difficult bussines. Theya are undergoing a serious ilness: sarcoptic mange. Thousands of them have died in the last 10 years. We hope things can change soon, but I will keep in mind your proposal.

Regards

Gerardo

Hi Gerardo
Sorry to here that about the Chamois I think that the same as we get in our fox's? Didn't know that Chamois could get something like that, can the deer get it to?

Wayne

Regarding the ocurrence of mange outbrakes, are well known among the caprinae family. In Spain we have had many of them in ibex, bavarian sheep and chamois. Of course deer suffer from that ilness as well, but it is less important for the whole population. The main issue is the size of the herd -bigger between caprinae than in cervidae- and the environment. You should bear in mind that chamois life is on top of the mountains (above 1000-1200 m a.s.l.) where the winter is very hard indeed. In such conditions they starve naturaly without any ilnees so when a outbrake appears the mortality raises a lot.

P1020707-1.jpg

This one was killed on the top of the mountains behind. Two hours walking down.

P1020698.jpg

My frien Javier and his "rebeca" (female).

Seen sarcoptic mange in an area is dramatic because you know nothing could be done. They are going to die. Only a few will survive.

In Spain there are two different chamois: Cantabric and Pyrinean. The first is the one I have closer, the smaller one in the world. Some year ago ,when stalking, we could see hundreds of them, nowadays only a few (ok, in the west of Asturias there are some populations very healthy but they are mostly in national preserves).

rebeca.jpg

A "rebeca" killed in Riaño. It took, after shooting, 5 hours to reach the place she was killed. A hard task!

The price of a permit is huge! A trophy now costs more than 2400 euros. Very expensive. A seletive -male or female- around 900-1200 euros. Very expensive too. I think France or Swizerland are cheaper.

Regards

Gerardo

Ok, I copy a picture of the place. I shot from the top, the chamois was near the tree line (see the dark one). About 200 meters far. Going directly was absolutely imposible because the steep of the slope. We have to take a nice walk! It was absolutely true. The site was called "La Pared de Burón" (the Wall of Buron) almost vertical.

Copiadeescenario.jpg

Regards

Gerardo

That's some stalking.
I was lucky enough to have a look around the AYA factory just outside Bilbao 2 years ago, a chance to handle some beautiful handmade guns. I think the spanish are just as passionate about ther hunting as we are.
Regards
Jonathon

Ps I didn't place an order for a pair of shotguns :cry:

Welcome, Gerardo. I think we will learn a lot from you.

And, your English is better than most of our Scottish members' patois...;)

Kindest regards,

Carl

Back