Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sound moderator

sound moderator

im in two minds about sound moderators, do they realy help you shoot more deer? what is your experance.

Yes, I have shot second and third beasts, especially roe in woodland that I wouldn't have shot had my first shot been unmoderated. The other factor to consider is how much the deer being shot at are being pursued, the old hinds don't forget. Regards JCS

They do tend to spoil balance and some are definately more effective than others - but they get my vote.

In pure terms of more deer it's hard to quantify, but from experience we have all seen hinds TEND to stand much longer when culling. As with all things stalking, there are few hard and fast givens.

Dealing with a lot of novice or infrequent stalkers, moderated rifles do help them shoot better - which ultimately results in more deer in the larder I suppose.

Heard of, but not so far encountered scope problems.

Hope helps.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

No, there's more to shooting deer than the sound of a gun
    Jc how do you know you would not have shot those deer

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    No, there's more to shooting deer than the sound of a gun
    Jc how do you know you would not have shot those deer
    I shot two does with the T8 on my .243 just after I had it fitted. Both does were aware of me before the first shot. The second doe just stood looking up the ride at me. I think I was ~80yds away. Previously on that piece of ground I had only shot single roe deer. Regards JCS

Moderators get my vote less recoil and the noise reduction alone does it for me you can here the thud and saves your own ears.

i think it depends on what sort of stalking you do, if your stalking large groups of fallow and need to take as many animals in one go as possible then yeah im sure a moderator will help but if you just stalk roe like i do and your only out to take one animal per stalk then no a moderator wont make any odds. this said tho there is a much bigger bang going forward of the rifle than what you hear sat behind it.

Taff
    Please explain and give your opinion on the question asked . Curious

Quote Originally Posted by mullbiker View Post
    Taff
    Ok I have never shot deer in Scotland , but from my limited experience of stalking, I think to shoot multiples of deer you have to get the wind right first and also not be seen. After the shot don,t rush out until after the other deer have left, I have shot upto three roe at a time in the same field while sitting on my mule, my best fallow count is five, if shooting at a group after the first shot the others generally take say ten steps and look back that is when you need to be ready for the next shoot. Big fallow bucks in a group will always tend to look at there fallen companion. So does a moderator help you shoot more deer by itself no. But can it be used as part of the kit to help I don,t know as I have never been able to retake a shot with one.

Quote Originally Posted by mullbiker View Post
    Taff
    Ok I have never shot deer in Scotland , but from my limited experience of stalking, I think to shoot multiples of deer you have to get the wind right first and also not be seen. After the shot don,t rush out until after the other deer have left, I have shot upto three roe at a time in the same field while sitting on my mule, my best fallow count is five, if shooting at a group after the first shot the others generally take say ten steps and look back that is when you need to be ready for the next shoot. Big fallow bucks in a group will always tend to look at there fallen companion. So does a moderator help you shoot more deer by itself no. But can it be used as part of the kit to help I don,t know as I have never been able to retake a shot with one.