Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: anybody had one of these rifles before

anybody had one of these rifles before

hi guys i am on the look out for a reasonably cheap 300 win mag and found this on gun trader its a remington 700 bdl lux has anybody used a remington 700 and what are they like
    the reason i ask is i currently use a parker and hale in .270 and also a bsa stutzen and both have a really nice feel shoot very accurate and have good build qaulity so i want something similar without a big price tag .atb wayne

For some reason you will not get a lot of Remington 700 fans on this site, but personally I like them. I have owned amongst other makes probably 6 or 7 and every one was very accurate. Never had a mechanical failure from any of them nor has my mate who has owned about the same number as well. Granted, several of ours went on to be the basis for custom jobs but as a basic rifle I really do rate them.

As for that particular calibre, no idea...

I have a Remington 700 in .243 i use for Foxing , The rifle is well built however i am having some accuracy issues i believe to be down to the action fitting in the stock. The stock is not great in my opinion and the rifle would benefit from a new stock , however to to financial constraints i will be having a tinker with the current stock myself to improve it. It is not a floated barrel and is currently touching on side of the stock near the muzzle end which may be causing the issues. This may not be the same for all models but i have heard from a few people that they are generally better when the stock has been upgraded. Unfortunately i have no experience of the .300win mag.

I had a Rem700 until very recently (SPS Varmint in .308). For the money their cracking. Lovely trigger, like snapping a glass rod with your finger, and with the right ammo would shoot grapes at 100m all day long, or if you prefer, hit 10 inch v-bulls at 1000 yards. Original SPS varmint stocks are made of tupperware, but replace it with something more suitable (I had an AICS) and you've got a tack driver for a few hundred quid. Only sold it 'cos it was too heavy for mooching about the woods with.
    As jamross above, I know nowt about 300Win Mags, though. Sorry.

i also have a remmy 700 in 243, havent had a problem with it, i have changed the stock an trigger on mine tho, accurate rifle,

The 300 Win mag is quite a good cartridge and quite versatile too but for some reason a lot of Firearms Licensing officers do not like the word magnum or so it seems . Some do not like the short neck on the .300 Win Mag but I cannot honestly say it caused me any problems when I was re-loading for mine however i traded mine to swing a deal some 10 years ago and have not played with one since.

As for the Remington 700 .............................................. I am one who would not give one house room. Not even as a gift. I do not like the way they are made and they feel damned awful to me.

i wouldn't be to worried about the make. but more so... if the barrel is in good condition for that price.

thanks guys for the info i have just been offered a Sako L61 Finnbear so seriously thinking about that .brithunter i havnt held one before it just looked in really good condition with spare stock i am on a budget and just didnt want to make a mistake and not be able to sell it on i am loving my parker hale and bsa stutzen and wont part with those but finding one of those in 300 win mag would be nigh on impossible i think,atb wayne

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    thanks guys for the info i have just been offered a Sako L61 Finnbear so seriously thinking about that .brithunter i havnt held one before it just looked in really good condition with spare stock i am on a budget and just didnt want to make a mistake and not be able to sell it on i am loving my parker hale and bsa stutzen and wont part with those but finding one of those in 300 win mag would be nigh on impossible i think,atb wayne
    Don't think about it too long!!!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Hmmm I am wondering why it needs a spare stock and why priced to sell quick something smells here on that one methinks.