anybody had one of these rifles before

Plenty take off stocks lying around too, maybe a few more from
Remington because there are more of them out there. Just about all plastic
injection moulded stocks are not really fit for purpose. Remmy, tikka, howa, steyr etc.
interesting that you should say that, i have been looking around for a new foxing rifle and all of the plastic stocks had flex in them, i think i am going to stick with wood unless i can stretch to a kevlar stocked cz varmint

The 300 Win mag is quite a good cartridge and quite versatile too but for some reason a lot of Firearms Licensing officers do not like the word magnum or so it seems :rolleyes:. Some do not like the short neck on the .300 Win Mag but I cannot honestly say it caused me any problems when I was re-loading for mine however i traded mine to swing a deal some 10 years ago and have not played with one since.

As for the Remington 700 .............................................. I am one who would not give one house room. Not even as a gift. I do not like the way they are made and they feel damned awful to me.
hi brithunter.it would be intresting to hear what you shoot since you would not have a 700 in a gift.i know quiet a few shooters with remmies including 300wm who would take on all commers at all ranges.

interesting that you should say that, i have been looking around for a new foxing rifle and all of the plastic stocks had flex in them, i think i am going to stick with wood unless i can stretch to a kevlar stocked cz varmint
Wood is way better as a stock material than most injection moulded materials.
At least pillar bedding can be done much easier.Problem is keeping the moisture content in the wood consistent.
Try the CZ varmint Kevlar stock before buying, shape doesn't suit everyone.
edi

I just checked on Guntrader and you can buy a new Remington 700 for £450. What do you expect. If you get a good one it will shoot as well as any rifle and shooting is what they are made for.
As for 300 win mag, a brilliant and very accurate round, however any round which burns upwards of 80 grains of powder every time you pull the trigger may have issues 2nd hand, the barrels don't last long, some rifles are shot out at 7-800 rounds

There are better rifles than the rem 700 but there is also a lot worse. I wouldn't rule it out if it is in good nick and at a good price.

Dave

Brit,
1)Customers chose Remington world wide not Parker Hale!
2)If you go into a custom rifle workshop you'll find take off barrels from
any manufacturer. Plenty new T3 barrels on the net too, not
only Howa or Remington. Just depends on what action one chooses for
a custom rifle. Plenty take off stocks lying around too, maybe a few more from
Remington because there are more of them out there. Just about all plastic
injection moulded stocks are not really fit for purpose. Remmy, tikka, howa, steyr etc.

Maybe I was just lucky with my remington, I have it in the same stock as my sako
and can therefore compare the handling well. Sako L579 (~1969) vs 2009 sps stainless.
the sps has a much lighter up stroke on the bolt, with the sako one must grab the bolt
fairly hard vs one finger with remmy. Safety is very slippery sucker on the sako which
is not great in our wet climate, remmy has a larger lever which is a bit quieter to. Also easier
to see/feel in which position it actually is.
Ejection, sako very patchy sometimes needs two whacks back. Remmy 100% reliable.
Generally the Sako action has an integrated recoil lug and is a better design than the remmy
but one doesn't really notice it when out stalking.
One thing I'm also a bit worried about is the steel quality of older rifles. Quality standards
are higher nowadays.

If you want good service from a rifle manufacturer....Blaser might be the best bet.
I wouldn't want one though.

In the last year I'm noticing that for affordable custom builds the trend seems to be
going strong towards Tikka T3 and Remington 700. Remmy clone actions are on the increase too.

You are right that especially a remmy sps is quite awfull out of the box, but it is cheap and
with little work one can make a very useable rifle out of it, better than some others.

By the way I also took the barrel off my Remmy and replaced it with a border barrel, not because
of accuracy, just because I need a heavy barreled remmy for a project.
My old barrel will be going on another rifle soon, it shot under 1/2" and only has 400 rounds done.

Get your self sorted and out stalking again. Sika rut is in full swing here.
edi

Sadly edi due to political goings on and a lot of back stabbing as you well know Parker-Hale was ripped apart the factory site sold off and the machinery too. I would not call the place I spoke too a custom shop. They might think it so but sorry I do not. They are however it seems the official Remington service and warranty place and they have loads of new take off barrels. A few one might understand but loads :-|

Now as for getting things sorted well it's not my end where the problems lie but once again it's the Plods. So far we have waited nearly three months for a reply to a a letter asking questions of them..................... don't hold your breathe though.

hi brithunter.it would be intresting to hear what you shoot since you would not have a 700 in a gift.i know quiet a few shooters with remmies including 300wm who would take on all commers at all ranges.

Now let's see I have and use several BSA's ( Regent, Majestic, Monarch & CF2) some Parker-Hales (Midland 2100, P-H 1200 Super, 1200V, 1200C, 1100 Lwt) a Rigby, a Medwell & Perritt oh yes and a Sportco M44.

I do not like the Remington 700, 710, 770 and seriously would not have one in the house. If you like they that's OK with me after all it takes all sorts. I even have American friends who like the Remington 700's and don't hold it against them just don't expect me to change my mind as I said earlier they are damned awful to shoot to my mind uncomfortable and clunky. Mind you I find a lot of modern rifles pretty rough to operate and way over priced.

Now I would like a nice Remington 30s ;).

I have had as many as 8 M700 rifles, and right now I have 3. I can't recommend them highly enough, they are made to customize. M700's have more after market parts available than any other rifle.

Wood is way better as a stock material than most injection moulded materials.
At least pillar bedding can be done much easier.Problem is keeping the moisture content in the wood consistent.
Try the CZ varmint Kevlar stock before buying, shape doesn't suit everyone.
edi
i think the kevlar would be ok for me, i had a handle of one at the weston gamefair, just dont think it would gain me any accuracy over the wood stock and the kevlar version is 400 quid more than wood, money better spent on decent mounts i think,

I have had as many as 8 M700 rifles, and right now I have 3. I can't recommend them highly enough, they are made to customize. M700's have more after market parts available than any other rifle.
some rifles dont need aftermarket parts they will shoot okay without more spend

Marc,

It is really a matter of personal preference.

I can buy a M700 and shoot it the way it is, albeit with a bit of trigger work and glass bedding. Usually they are an inch rifle at 100 yards with good quality ammo, and some will be better. I have never met a single BOLT ACTION rifle that couldn't be improved with trigger work and glass bedding at a minimum.

I can put a top quality barrel on a trued m700 action, replace the bolt with a one piece model from PG&W, and swap the stock for something made out of Fiberglass by McMillan, Manners, or a whole host of other outfits, and have a rifle that will shoot to almost benchrest standards. And will be more accurate than all but the most perfect Finnish or German-Austrian made rifles.

Very few production rifles from any nation are considerably more accurate, especially for the price range a Remington comes in.

As much as I love Tikka and Howa rifles they both come with crap stocks, and the Tikka has a horrible magazine system made out of worn out Legos.

Marc,

It is really a matter of personal preference.

I can buy a M700 and shoot it the way it is, albeit with a bit of trigger work and glass bedding. Usually they are an inch rifle at 100 yards with good quality ammo, and some will be better. I have never met a single BOLT ACTION rifle that couldn't be improved with trigger work and glass bedding at a minimum.

I can put a top quality barrel on a trued m700 action, replace the bolt with a one piece model from PG&W, and swap the stock for something made out of Fiberglass by McMillan, Manners, or a whole host of other outfits, and have a rifle that will shoot to almost benchrest standards. And will be more accurate than all but the most perfect Finnish or German-Austrian made rifles.

Very few production rifles from any nation are considerably more accurate, especially for the price range a Remington comes in.

As much as I love Tikka and Howa rifles they both come with crap stocks, and the Tikka has a horrible magazine system made out of worn out Legos.

Correction ............................... Remingtons are over priced especially here in the UK. For only a little more one can buy a much better made rifle.

My local dealer stopped stocking them after have some really poor ones delivered. Not being able to hold a 3" group with any ammo they had in stock in a .223 at 50 paces :eek: the replacements shot as poorly so he said enough is enough and now no longer stocks Remington's. The only one the had left was a 710 or 770 his son oredered and which of course they cannot sell :eek: :lol:. The ones they had trouble grouping with were one of the new varmint 700's with plastic furniture.

Now YOU may expect and think it's correct to have to throw away half the rifle to get it to work/shoot properly however a lot of buyers do not agree. After Remingtons little trigger fiasco one has to wonder if one can believe anything the company says..

As for Tikka perhaps you should lay the blame where it really lies ........................................ Berretta! IMHO they have ruined those two companies (Sako/Tikka). Now I don't like the feel of the T3 much and the Sako 75 is not a patch on the earlier models it replaced. Other may not/will not agree with me .................................... but that's OK.

I was not impressed with the new Kimber Montana a dealer I know proudly handed me to look at. The action felt rough and unfinished yet others rave about them. No I'll stick with my vintage rifles thank you and if a barrel eventually wears out a new one can be fitted ;).

i dont know i think the the sako 75 action is very smooth, it has a good trigger out the box, and you see a lot of semi custom guns built on this action. because it needs little to no work on it.

my mate had a 20 tac built on a remmy action and it was lovely and smooth and accurate, yet some remmy actions i have felt in the shop seam sloppy,and not that smooth.

i think remmys ae very dear. and if you have to buy one and pay all that money on sorting,triggers,stocks, etc

i would prefer just to pay out on a rifle which doesnt need any of that

Think I will pile in here with my opinion.

Not a fan of the Mauser action (own one)
Not a fan of the BSA (own a cf2, cheaply made if ever I saw)
Not a fan of Parker Hale (do not own one thankfully - sold it)

Simply as a friend would say they are Tomato stakes, nothing nice about them.

Until recently did not own a Rem 700, would not go as far as putting it in the 'tomato stake' category but certainly not crap.
It is an accurate, reliable rifle, original barrel, factory stock, factory trigger and does not look 100 years old.
I generally prefer European rifles (excepting old Mauser's) to anything English (including the latest rash of 700 copies made here) or American but that is what floats MY boat.

:stir:

had a 700 in .223 it was the SPS Varmint and it was a bag of ****, you could not take it out in the sunny weather, you could see the stock moving all over the place when the plastic got warm, it went back to Edgars because of the accuracy prob they redid the crown and sent it back to the dealer with a beded stock on it but it was still a pile of crap would not touch another.

paul

i dont know i think the the sako 75 action is very smooth, it has a good trigger out the box, and you see a lot of semi custom guns built on this action. because it needs little to no work on it.
I agree -the 75 has a lot going for it. Certainly a better bet than the 85 IMHO - less plastic for a start.
I don't know much about current Remington 700s but the ones I have come across in the past have always shot very well out of the box. I think the availability of original parts and the massive range of after market parts is a huge advantage. Just look at the cost of getting parts for older Steyr Mannlichers etc now by comparison. At least nothing on a 700 is likely to become unavailable in my lifetime. They are better value used and if you want to customise one you can do so at far less cost than for many other rifles.

Not a fan of the BSA (own a cf2, cheaply made if ever I saw)

Joe sadly the CF2 was the cheapened version of the earlier rifles................................ one can thank the accountants for that oh and of course Lady Docker for her wastral spending of BSA's money.

However the CF2's are a lot smoother in operation than any of the Rem 700's I have come across.

Joe sadly the CF2 was the cheapened version of the earlier rifles................................ one can thank the accountants for that oh and of course Lady Docker for her wastral spending of BSA's money.

However the CF2's are a lot smoother in operation than any of the Rem 700's I have come across.

Sorry Kevin, have to disagree with you there the CF2 is just 'sloppy' It shoots ok but certainly not a 'step up' from a Rem! Oh the cf2's painted bottom metal is crap!

Sorry Kevin, have to disagree with you there the CF2 is just 'sloppy' It shoots ok but certainly not a 'step up' from a Rem! Oh the cf2's painted bottom metal is crap!

Hmmm have not noticed any of mine being sloppy and I have two at the moment have used to have a very well worn 22/250. That Alloy trigger guard is not brilliant but as I pointed out it was a cost cutting exercise and one reason I prefer the Monarch and earlier models. The two I have now are late ones being made in 1984 (270 Stutzen) and 1986 (7x57) according to the view marks. Both were acquired new as in they had had not use. The 270 was new shop soiled, had a couple of marks from the rack, the 7x57 was brought but it seems not used then part-exed. Perhaps I was lucky :!: However they fit me and are far more comfortable to shoot than any Rem 700 I have tried.

I agree -the 75 has a lot going for it. Certainly a better bet than the 85 IMHO - less plastic for a start.
I don't know much about current Remington 700s but the ones I have come across in the past have always shot very well out of the box. I think the availability of original parts and the massive range of after market parts is a huge advantage. Just look at the cost of getting parts for older Steyr Mannlichers etc now by comparison. At least nothing on a 700 is likely to become unavailable in my lifetime. They are better value used and if you want to customise one you can do so at far less cost than for many other rifles.

:lol: sorry but the only parts that I have ever needed to replace on any rifles of my own are a Mauser Magazine spring, christ knows what the previous owner did but it was weak and could not lift the factory Winchester ammo for loading. Possibly not notice on a light chambering but with a 510 grain bullet it NOTICED. The other was a firing pin due to over pressure factory ammunition which broke it. That was on a 1903-1905 vintage Swedish Mauser. If a rifle is built correctly the chances to it needing bits in normal use are very small. It's more likely to be caused by daft owners messing with them.

Oh yes I do need to make a new foresight blade for a DWM sporting Mauser thanks to the neglect of some Museum curators who allowed it to rust badly. One cannot blame the rifle of maker on that neglect. The rifle was made around 1897 and it seems spent the next 100 years ina small Scottish Museum where they didn't take care of their exhibits very well.......................... no wonder it closed.

Back