Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conditions for different species

Conditions for different species

Had a very interesting talk with my firearm department this week. My previous rifle a .243 had separate conditions for fox and deer on it.

When I sold this and got my new rifle a 6.5x55 the conditions only stated deer.

I went in and asked and was advised that I could shoot anything up to the size of a deer and that this included the likes of goats and boar with no need for a variation for either.

Prior to this, I thought the target species had to be listed individually.

Is this the same in all regions? Mine is L&B

David,

That is different to the advice given to me by my FEO in Staffordshire. I have deer and fox specified for my 6.5 x 55. I asked about goats and was told I'd need a variation to add goats to the list of quarry species, same for boar.

Cheers,

Bob

In Warwickshire I have Deer and Fox listed and it is currently away getting Wild Boar added.

Quote Originally Posted by david1976 View Post
    Had a very interesting talk with my firearm department this week. My previous rifle a .243 had separate conditions for fox and deer on it.

When I sold this and got my new rifle a 6.5x55 the conditions only stated deer.

I went in and asked and was advised that I could shoot anything up to the size of a deer and that this included the likes of goats and boar with no need for a variation for either.

Prior to this, I thought the target species had to be listed individually.

Is this the same in all regions? Mine is L&B
    David my understanding of this is
    if your rifle is conditioned in anyway for a specific species then that is all you are allowed to use that rifle for
    as it clearly states that on your FAC that it is conditioned for deer,
    then deer is all you are allowed to shoot with that particular calibre

We shouldn't get too absorbed in quarry conditions.... there don't appear to be any reported cases of anyone ever being prosecuted for shooting quarry that isn't specifically worded on ticket.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

It is also worth checking that all are listed for both the rifle and the expanding ammunition.

Mine had to go back for amendment as deer was omitted from the expanding ammunition can only be used for section ....

Quote Originally Posted by neil_r View Post
    It is also worth checking that all are listed for both the rifle and the expanding ammunition.

Mine had to go back for amendment as deer was omitted from the expanding ammunition can only be used for section ....
    confused at that one
    mine don't state any seperate conditions for the Ammo I use
    you say you hav a seperate condition section for expanding ammo and use's of??
    a new one on me
    please could you enlighten futher

Isn't it illegal to not use expanding ammunition for deer?
    so it makes no sense to need a separate condition
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    David my understanding of this is
    if your rifle is conditioned in anyway for a specific species then that is all you are allowed to use that rifle for
    as it clearly states that on your FAC that it is conditioned for deer,
    then deer is all you are allowed to shoot with that particular calibre
    That's what I always thought however after speaking with them it appears this is not the case and it's everything up to that size.

When my .308 was added the conditions stated:
    .308/7.62 to be used for Deer Fox and zeroing over land etc
    .17HMR to be used for vermin and ground game/Fox and zeroing etc

But the condition relating to expanding ammunition stated:

.308/7.62 & .17HMR calibre authorised by this certificate and may use such ammunition only in connection with vermin/fox control.