Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What price good glass ?

What price good glass ?

Myself and a few friends are looking for new binos, so off we went to the Midland and raided every stand with optics on show, after assessing them for clarity, edge definition,light transmission from 50 yards to 5000, looking though bright light into shade etc, we sat down over a pint to discuss our findings.

We could only agree on three things.

1 Swarovski were the best
    2 Nikon had a pair of 10 x 42sp that were exceptionable at a price of 241.00 (strange because
    most of us did not rate the Monach Range)
    3 The difference in quality between the Nikons and the 10 x 42 Swarovski's was in no way worth the extra 1500.00

I'd like to hear other Members thoughts

Was it at dawn/dusk you compared them?

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

I am surprised you all managed to agree! i did the same sort of test not long ago, the variation in my friends eyesight was so great that no one could agree on which wich was the "BEST", we all agreed that we coudnt see 1500 difference looking through budget / swarovskis etc, our eyes are all very different, what works for my eyes does not work for others!

Skipp

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by hangfire View Post
    Myself and a few friends are looking for new binos, so off we went to the Midland and raided every stand with optics on show, after assessing them for clarity, edge definition,light transmission from 50 yards to 5000, looking though bright light into shade etc, we sat down over a pint to discuss our findings.

We could only agree on three things.

1 Swarovski were the best
    2 Nikon had a pair of 10 x 42sp that were exceptionable at a price of 241.00 (strange because
    most of us did not rate the Monach Range)
    3 The difference in quality between the Nikons and the 10 x 42 Swarovski's was in no way worth the extra 1500.00

I'd like to hear other Members thoughts
    You all seemed to agree that the Swarovski's were the best, but only you as an individual can decide if you want to shell out the extra 1,500.

It's always difficult to answer questions like this - it's like asking whether a Porsche is worth the extra tens of thousands over and above a Ford, as they both do the job. Or the difference in buying prescription glasses or the 1.50 set from the supermarket. As with so many things, you pay your money and take your choice. For some, the 1,500 extra for the Swaros will be worth spending for the difference in quality at first/last light, the residual resale value, after-sales service, etc.

Having built up a collection of binoculars over the years, both cheap and expensive, all I would say is that I've never, ever, regretted buying the Swarovskis. They have been faultless over the last 5 years, whereas I can't say the same for the others in the collection. When stalking you spend most of your time looking through binos, so why not do your eyes a favour and buy the best?

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Account Suspended
    +1 with that buy the best glass you can

Excellent subjective review.

Swarovski everytime with out a doubt it was the best stalking purchase I made. I just had to save up.

I swithered for ages and looked binos after binos, compared and compared, I really didn't want to to spend 1500 in a pair of Swaro's. But in the end I did and I can honestly say they are brill. The difference thay make has already allowed me to spot dear I would have missed, saved me bumping other deer whilst stalking other deer. One thing I will add is having spent ages comparing them I went for SLC' over the EL's. It wasn't a price thing just prefered them.

As Swarovski have just launched their new EL's you can expect to see quite a lot of the "old" EL's coming on to the 2nd hand market. Alternatively see what Macleod's have in S/H and Used Stock.

Hello, I got myself a pair off 8 x 42 HD swarovskis and the difference between them and the budget range and fantastic! The light that they pull in is unbelievable! The clarity through them is worth every penny off 1400 well worth it if the budget stretches!