Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Royal

A Royal

Having had a blank day the stalker (all names protected - explanation later) very kindly said i could try and re-arrange another day. We set off and the normal start to a day chasing red stags of puffing and sweating up to 'altitude' was actually fairly painless.

Having got there we could see a huge amount of the ground, and no deer! He decided to head for a bit of ground he had been on the day before and where he had seen a stag but before it could be shot the mist had closed in ending the day.

We reached another summit and there was a herd in the distance with 1 stag. Hurrah, but now the hard bit, the wind was blowing a gale but fairly true. The end result was that we had to crawl under the noses of a hind and a calf to get into a position for a shot. Having done so and now wearing tweed that was more akin to a sea sponge i heard a big roar. The stalker motioned to get the rifle out and 'get a wriggle on'!

During the next 3 seconds the bipod went up i got behind the rifle. 6 hinds popped their heads up and he said just shoot the bugger. It was quartering towards me so I took the shot through the front of the chest and out the side of the ribcage. a good thump was heard and pandemonium followed as 30 hinds scattered. I did not see the stag drop but the stalker was fairly happy. He got to it first and i could tell something was wrong....

The beast was stone dead, 1 lung minced so the shot had gone ok and the bullet had exited the ribcage forward of the diaphram - result! However there were a few more tines than he had counted....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1536a.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	587.1 KB 
ID:	9369

Needless to say once he had had a moment he shook me by the hand and was kind enough to compliment me on the shot and said not to worry as it was a stag that had come in off the neighbours land, but not to tell the under stalker!

I definitely feel this is a once in a lifetime stag so Rob from http://www.albahighlandtaxidermy.com/ is going to mount it for me. He has very kindly offered me a SD discount and his work looks stunning.

This was my 13th stag - lucky for me!!!

Well done that man! congrats

I'll do my best to get you a Sika equivalant when you are down!

Well done!!!

Worth having had the blank day for!!!

Well done - a right old result!
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Oops if it had been with me, I would probably be looking for a new job.

Brian - looking forward to my first sika! No pressure

Looks a cracker, nice write up.

GT

Nice stag there mate but cant believe the stalker .Panic did he ?

Quote Originally Posted by foxdropper View Post
    Nice stag there mate but cant believe the stalker .Panic did he ?
    I was kind of wondering that myself. If I told someone to shoot a beast and realised I had made an arse of it, I think I would have been standing there gritting my teeth in congratulations and pretend that was the one I wanted taken!!!

He was v chilled and did just smile, honesty wins every time in my book. The weather has put them under a bit of pressure and it was a neighbour's stag.

No 2 stalks ever the same, and yes I know I am v lucky