Stag rut

wildfowler.250

Is the rut still on in the north of Scotland? And is there much activity during the day? Im swithering on whether to go out or not but if it's a watse of time I'll wait untill morning/evening!

Cheers!

Alot of places the rut is just started, not in full swing on my ground yet, what kind of ground have you got woodland?or open hill? if its woodland probably better early morning, if open hill get out there.

Thanks bud! It's coniferous+heather but there is some moorland outside the forest. I think the deer tend to stick to the trees and rides though?

Any tips for calling or will I clear the place :lol: I have heard something about a coke bottle and cut the end off?

Cheers again!

Thanks bud! It's coniferous+heather but there is some moorland outside the forest. I think the deer tend to stick to the trees and rides though?

Any tips for calling or will I clear the place :lol: I have heard something about a coke bottle and cut the end off?

Cheers again!

Coke bottle or similar can work, some guys can call without using anything, sorry can't really give you any tips, some people seem to master calling and some just don't seem to get it.

Oh I just remembered a young stalker who could replicate a stag roaring perfectly using a metal garden watering can

I can just see it now the latest must have stalking aid from Bushwear......:rofl:

i have seen people using a piece of plastic tube around a foot long for calling the advice i was given was dont try and call too loud or too deep as you want the stag to think you are a smaller stag

A small piece of waste hose from the back of a washing machine is good to make a red call from
Al

had alot of noise outside last night, saw stags moving on the open hill all day not much noise thought, temp has cooled off and rain come in, it will bw intersting to see what tommorow is like.

Back