Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikon Monarch X, Steiner, Sightron

Nikon Monarch X, Steiner, Sightron

Hi Folks

Looking for some opinions and some real world experience on the following Binos.

Nikon Monarch X 8.5x45
    Steiner Ranger Pro 8x42
    Sightron S111LR 8x42

Willing to spend about 500 max on a new set of binos and shortlisted the above, other suggestions welcome.

Thanks
    Jonny

I have a Nikon Monarch scope on a foxing rifle and it compares very well indeed for the money compared with my S&B Zenith and a Khales scope on my Deer rifles. So if the binos are of the same optical standard they will be very good.

I've got a Nikon Monarch Scope to, which i'm happy with but the grass is always greener eh!!

My vote would have to go to the steiner binos,
    I am looking at a pair for myself. I can get them through the trade 385 for the pro 8x42,But have you looked at the standard ranger (millitary) models, they do a 7x50 300. If you are watching the penny's like me it makes a big difference.

all the best trev.

Thanks trev, nice price for the Steiner.

Decided to take the plunge and go for a set of swaro el's. I made the mistake of buying a ''cheaper'' scope one time now all i can think about is buying a Z5.

So if anyone wants to sell me a pair of EL's for 500 i'm your man

can highly recommend the steiners

ive had mine now for 4 or 5 yrs

think mine were steiner skyhawk....8x42.....came in at 300 quid

found this mob that doing them for 320
    http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/stein...er_skyhawk.htm

seems an ok website got some good stuff....never used em tho so dunnoe how they are to deal with

but wherever you get em from the steiners are bloody good for the money in my humble opinion

best advice tho.......... EVERYONES EYES DIFFERENT ...TRY BEFORE YOU BUY IF AT ALL POSSIBLE

a'the best
    sauer /paul

Quote Originally Posted by Double0gorgeous View Post
    Thanks trev, nice price for the Steiner.

Decided to take the plunge and go for a set of swaro el's. I made the mistake of buying a ''cheaper'' scope one time now all i can think about is buying a Z5.

So if anyone wants to sell me a pair of EL's for 500 i'm your man
    Try your local Viking optics centre. I was recently in the market for a pair of Swaro SLCs and they had a pair on their books in Glasgow at 500. Unfortunately someone beat me to those and I ended up spending a little more on a pair off e-bay. The guy in my local Viking shop assured me that, had someone else not had their name on the SLCs he could have had them sent down from Glasgow on "next day" delivery. He had some very good quality used binos in at the time, but 800 for the Swaro 8.5x42EL was too much for me, and the pair of Leicas which were in my price range just didn't do it for me once I'd looked through the Swaros. If on a buget and looking for top end optics, second hand is the way to go. London Camera exchange is also worth a try (Salisbury branch if you're a shooter as the owner also shoots and knows what we're looking for when buying optics).
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Jonny

Don't limit yourself just to new optics.

I see there are a s/h pair of Swaro 10x42's in the classifieds for 950 or nearest offer: http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...ski-10x42-EL-s

Also, have you looked at Macleod's s/h optic list: http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/CUSTOMER%2...OCK%20LIST.pdf

Gregor looks to have several pairs of Swarovski 8x30 SLC's (with full Swaro warranty) as well as a couple of pairs of s/h Zeiss 7x42's that would fall within your budget of 500. He also has some pairs of the Kahles binos, though I've no experience of their binos - if they're anything like their scopes they'd be good.

Ace Cameras also have a s/h pair of 8x30's as well as a s/h pair of Swaro 10x42 Habicht's at 399 (http://www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/web/.../1/product.asp)

London Camera Exchange only seem to have a s/h pair of Swaro 8.5x42's at 999: http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Swaro...2EL_41922.html or a pair of 10x42's.

willie_gunn
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 01-10-2011 at 05:11.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I use a pair of Steiner ranger Pro 8 x 42 that I bought new off amazon direct from Germany, cost including delivery was around 350 and I am pleased with them

Cheers fellas, I think 2nd hand swaro may be the way forward. I don't think the nikons or steiners are that much better than what i have to justify spending the money. Some soul and wallet searching to be done i think.