Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to stop damaging bullets when using a bullet puller

How to stop damaging bullets when using a bullet puller

After pulling some bullets with a kinetic hammer from homeloads that were showing signs of pressure i'd noticed that the hammer was leaving marks on the 100g soft points i was using, thereby leaving them usless, I've taken a plug of silicone that had been left in the nozzle of a part used tube of silicone sealant so had gone off and cured,forming a nice uniform conicle shape, cut a piece off of the wider end of the plug and pushed it onto the bottom of the hammer where the bullet and powder are captured , this has acted as a cushion for the bullet and prevents any marking to the bullet head

Tikkat3

I did the same but used a self adhesive felt circle from IKEA, the kind that you stick to the bottom of furniture legs.
    worked a charm

A full & proper cure for bullet damage , when dissasembly is needed,http://www.hornady.com/store/images/T/050095.jpg
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    A full & proper cure for bullet damage , when dissasembly is needed,http://www.hornady.com/store/images/T/050095.jpg
    + 1

I found that I was damaging the brass using a kinetic puller, as the pulled bullet bounced back up and hit the brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    + 1

I found that I was damaging the brass using a kinetic puller, as the pulled bullet bounced back up and hit the brass.
    you are meant to stop pounding once the bullet is free!

I put a foam ear plug in the bottom of my hammer, works a treat. Hearings getting worse though
    Al

Anyone got a collet bullet puller for .243 for sale?

Tikkat3

Dont your kinetic hammers come with felt inside ? as the hammers ive bought in past have had felt in the bottom which does do the job..for me anyway..no damage to any heads.

Back when they invented the wheel....................... they improved it, it has a rubber tyre on it now! remove your bullet with ease & no visible markings....... get a collet puller!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by mickyfinn View Post
    Dont your kinetic hammers come with felt inside ? as the hammers ive bought in past have had felt in the bottom which does do the job..for me anyway..no damage to any heads.
    Mine did come with a wee felt pad but it was to small and the powder got stuck down the side of it, so it got replaced with an ear plug
    Al