Thread: Lil Gun: Greatsmall case capacity powder.

Lil Gun: Greatsmall case capacity powder.

I have been using Hodgdon's Lil Gun in a Hornet for almost a decade now, and it is about the finest powder there is for that cartridge. Good accuracy, low standard deviation, and best of all, moderate pressures at maximum loads. I have also used this powder in the diminutive 5mm Craig wildcat which requires only 6 grains of powder to fill the case. I got top accuracy and top velocity with no worries about pressures.

Lately, I have branched out into handgun loads with Lil Gun; most notably in my 8.375" barreled S&W model 27 .357 magnum. Starting loads were 16.0 grains behind a 158 grain jacketed HP, listed to give an impressive 1500 fps but at only a little more than half the pressure of other powder/loads giving the same velocities. Yesterday I chronographed this load from my S&W @ 1512 fps! Shooting at a 4" circular steel plate at 50M from a rest I centered a 6 shot group in about 2.75 inches. The brass looked great and extracted easily. Subsequent off hand practice proved it to be the best and flattest 158 grain load I have ever had for this Smith. I have found my deer load for this fall.

In the meanwhile. I'm going to experiment with the 25-20 and 218 Bee cartridges -and any other round for which Lil Gun is applicable. Low pressure, high velocity and good accuracy. Hats off to Hodgdon for a great bit of engineering.~Muir
    Last edited by Muir; 02-10-2011 at 14:44.

I have used Lil' Gun in my hornets for several years and it's just the best - brings the performance of the little cartridge right up to date. I should add that the Rem 6 1/2 primer is a perfect choice in this application. When you can get this sort of performance from the Hornet, it Really makes me wonder why anyone bothers with cartridges like the .17 HMR. But I wish you would not tease us about handgun hunting, which I think you know is not permitted here. On the other hand, I think we have easier access to moderators/silencers than in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat_D View Post
    I have used Lil' Gun in my hornets for several years and it's just the best - brings the performance of the little cartridge right up to date. I should add that the Rem 6 1/2 primer is a perfect choice in this application. When you can get this sort of performance from the Hornet, it Really makes me wonder why anyone bothers with cartridges like the .17 HMR. But I wish you would not tease us about handgun hunting, which I think you know is not permitted here. On the other hand, I think we have easier access to moderators/silencers than in the USA.

You got that right.
    Didn't mean to rub in the handgunning thing but it just again brought the qualities of Lil Gun to light. I do love handgunning tho, and don't think I could get on well without it.~Muir