possible new rifle

sir-lamp-alot

im thinking of possibly changing my foxing rifle and then i thought of maybe swaping in my .308 as well and maybe just having one rifle which is deer legal and also good for use on charlie. and now ive remebered just how many calibers are actually out there so i thought i would see what others thought, personally i was thinking .243 or maybe .25-06 but was a little worried about the price and avalibilty of the .25-06 ammo cheers chaps

im thinking of possibly changing my foxing rifle and then i thought of maybe swaping in my .308 as well and maybe just having one rifle which is deer legal and also good for use on charlie. and now ive remebered just how many calibers are actually out there so i thought i would see what others thought, personally i was thinking .243 or maybe .25-06 but was a little worried about the price and avalibilty of the .25-06 ammo cheers chaps

Hi Dan
Paul Cook has quite a nice steyr mannlicher pro hunter in 243 with mod with black synthetic stock in at the moment
Geordie

Used a 243 for deer most of the last season. Using my 308 more this year, just don't trust
the 243 at longer ranges for deer, lacks oomph.
260 rem? 7-08?
edi

The other thing which would put me off the 25-06 for your intended purpose is powder use .............................. the 25-06 does consume a bit which of course causes more wear to the barrel. Excellent cartridge but a bit much for foxing IMHO if your using it often. A 6mm or 6.5mm would be better or dare I say it 7mm. Just stick with 57mm Mauser length or less for less powder burning down the barrel.

thanks for all your replies chaps i think,......well at least for the next ten minutes any way im going to go with the .243 just seem s a better foxing round than the .25-06 and as most of my shooting is at charlie thats the way to go

Back