Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: warbles found in roe deer ?

Account Suspended
    View my Gallery (35)View my Gallery (35)

warbles found in roe deer ?

I spoke to a chap at the deer larder and in the conversation he came out with,he shot a roe in sutherland and skinned for the pot and discovered 56 warbles,i never came across warbles in roe before,has anyone else ?

No never seen that in Roe, only seen them in Red
    Al

This fascinates me. The bovine Warble fly has been classed as extinct in England by Defra, and yet the warble fly that lives on deer is still present in Scotland. It surprises me that it does not spread down south and across species.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

I shot a Roe doe near Glenshee 6 years ago that was covered in warbles.....spoke to a stalker at a Best Practise day who told all and sundry Roe don't get warbles.....not so.......

There is a host void below the central belt in scotland that is difficult for the warble fly to cross

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    This fascinates me. The bovine Warble fly has been classed as extinct in England by Defra, and yet the warble fly that lives on deer is still present in Scotland. It surprises me that it does not spread down south and across species.

Simon

Warble fly in Cattle is a notifiable disease throughout the UK. The warble in deer is not the exact same species as the one that affects cattle. Hypoderma Diana - Deer Warble, Hypoderma Bovis - Cooo's.

From what I've read cattle warble can cause paralysis in extreme cases, with tracts and larve reaching over an inch in lengh. If a Roe was shot with 56 little grubby buggers in its back then I'd expect that it would be in a really poor state indeed. I've not shot terribly many reds but the ones I have seen with warble probably have 10-30 warble larve in if any, so to expect 56 in the little back straps of a Roe seems hard to believe.

If he has found Warble in Roe and it is not documented from what I can see as rare or common in Roe then maybe this sort of thing should be referred to the regional animal health people?

Ali
    Last edited by aliS; 03-10-2011 at 10:47.

http://www.jwildlifedis.org/cgi/reprint/30/4/552.pdf

FYI the above link pretty much confirms that you can indeed find warble in Roe, and its the same species of fly Hypoderma Diana.

From the picture in the document the Roe deer has been severly affected by the warble, far more so than you'd expect to see in Reds.
    Last edited by aliS; 03-10-2011 at 10:45.

deer get warbles and for the areas where that's common it's going to include sika too.

40 + plus years stalking seen plenty of warble in reds, culling 200+ roe a year have never seen a case of warble in roe of
    course that does not mean that it does not happen.

I've found two cases in the last year - - - with just two or three warbles in each beast. Should have taken a photograph - - I will do if I get another example. Surely the Game Dealers will have more info.

JR