Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there deer in Cheshire or North Wales.

Are there deer in Cheshire or North Wales.

For a long time I have often wondered if there are deer in Cheshire or North Wales.

It seems that most other parts of the country have deer in overwhelming numbers, but it seem that the deer don't like Cheshire or North Wales.

One would think that an area like Snowdonia would be full of them.

Does anyone else know if there are deer or if the numbers are increasing ?

Kind Regards

Rob

This topic has been covered before. There are Reds in Cheshire.

There are reds and roes in bodelwyddan and around denbigh,ive seen fallow in Dolgellau on my way back from builth,but that was some years ago.
    There are deer signs around denbigh,not the poo type but the red triangles

There are definately Roe and Fallow in North Wales. If you check out the BASC survey conducted a few years ago it highlights exactly where the deer are in the UK http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/...D9DEB10C9009AB

Fallow here and there, odd Roe sticks its head up occasionaly and thats usually its downfall Munties have been seen in Snowdonia so I am led to believe and reds in the south. Deer have a hard time - as soon as one or two are seen the poaching starts and they become extinct or the landowner has them shot due to other areas being poached and livestock mistaken for deer ending up shot with fullbore/crossbow/shotguns or the dog boys being there. Dont think we will ever see them in any numbers.

Agree with the above. We have some great land around Wrexham ready for when the deer arrive in good numbers but like Leon says they get shot before they ahev chance. Some land we shoot out in the sticks towards Betws Y coed has some Fallow on but not many.

Quote Originally Posted by gelert View Post
    There are reds and roes in bodelwyddan and around denbigh,ive seen fallow in Dolgellau on my way back from builth,but that was some years ago.
    There are deer signs around denbigh,not the poo type but the red triangles
    There are no reds at Bodelwyddan, (I can see Bodelwyddan from where I'm typing this) they are fallow as are 99.9% of the deer in North Wales. There are fallow in quite big numbers in the Elwy valley roughly between St. Asaph and Abergele but they spill out over the valley into the wooded coastal area up to almost Colwyn Bay and down towards Denbigh. In this area there might be 1,000 fallow. They have recently started to expand their range and have crossed the River Clwyd towards Mold and are also working their way up the Vale towards Ruthin.

There are more fallow in the Dolgellau area, up towards Bala and down into the Coed y Brenin woods but far fewer than in the Elwy valley, the population at Newborough Warren on Anglesey have either died out or are very few in number.

There are (or were) a very few roe, they started to appear in the general Mold area in 2007 but seem to have disappeared, I think the fox/rabbit lampers may have had them. They are spreading up from mid-Wales but very slowly, there was one shot at Bodelwyddan in 2004 another was photographed in Bangor in 2007 and the Forestry Commission report them as being in Coed y Brenin woods near Dolgellau. It will be some time before roe numbers in North Wales are high enough to stand a cull and sadly the others predicting that they will never establish due to being shot as soon as they establish may well be right. Sad because North Wales is potentially very good roe country.

There are apparently a few reds on the Lleyn Penisular, definitely some on Bardsey Island, and others in the vicinity of Powis Castle but not many in either area.

Muntjac are starting to creep into North Wales with some reported at Rosset and possibly getting up the Alyn valley also the BDS maps have them in the Conwy valley and on the edge of Snowdonia near Bethesda although I'm sure that Ifor Williams has helped with this.

With regard to Cheshire there is a another thread running but it must have the lowest deer density of any rural county in England. At the eastern edge of the county there are good reds in the Macclesfield/Peak area and also some roe, muntjac are in the Dane valley and apparently also Delamere Forest.

Don't put too much faith in the BASC maps as this just reflects where their members shot deer. Their map would suggest that there are no deer in Monmouthshire when the reality is that there are many and widespread fallow and at least two other species present in that county.
    Last edited by paul k; 04-10-2011 at 16:52.

Quote Originally Posted by paul k View Post
    There are no reds at Bodelwyddan,
    (I can see Bodelwyddan from where I'm typing this) they are fallow as are 99.9% of the deer in North Wales. There are fallow in quite big numbers in the Elwy valley roughly between St. Asaph and Abergele but they spill out over the valley into the wooded coastal area up to almost Colwyn Bay and down towards Denbigh. I
    n this area there might be 1,000 fallow. They have recently started to expand their range and have crossed the River Clwyd towards Mold and are also working their way up the Vale towards Ruthin.

There are more fallow in the Dolgellau area, up towards Bala and down into the Coed y Brenin woods but far fewer than in the Elwy valley, the population at Newborough Warren on Anglesey have either died out or are very few in number.

There are (or were) a very few roe, they started to appear in the general Mold area in 2007 but seem to have disappeared, I think the fox/rabbit lampers may have had them. They are spreading up from mid-Wales but very slowly, there was one shot at Bodelwyddan in 2004 another was photographed in Bangor in 2007 and the Forestry Commission report them as being in Coed y Brenin woods near Dolgellau. It will be some time before roe numbers in North Wales are high enough to stand a cull.

There are apparently a few reds on the Lleyn Penisular, definitely some on Bardsey Island, and others in the vicinity of Powis Castle but not many in either area.

Muntjac are starting to creep into North Wales with some reported at Rosset and possibly getting up the Alyn valley.

With regard to Cheshire there is a another thread running but it must have the lowest deer density of any rural county in England. At the eastern edge of the county there are good reds in the Macclesfield/Peak area and also some roe, muntjac are in the Dane valley and apparently also Delamere Forest.
    Do's Ken know you could do a deer count for him?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Paul, sadly newborough warren has a very large population of raven's and that's about it,there are no deer on anglesey whatsoever,the only ones being by the larger estates for their pesonal venture and possibbly being carried over and dumped,unless they can swim the menai straights.
    There are roumours of muntaj but again once word gets out they seem to vanish.
    i do remember seeing deer at bodelwyddan during the gamefair which could have been fallow but it was a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by gelert View Post

Paul, sadly newborough warren has a very large population of raven's and that's about it,there are no deer on anglesey whatsoever,the only ones being by the larger estates for their pesonal venture and possibbly being carried over and dumped,unless they can swim the menai straights.
    There are roumours of muntaj but again once word gets out they seem to vanish.
    i do remember seeing deer at bodelwyddan during the gamefair which could have been fallow but it was a long time ago.
    It's sad that the Newborough fallow have died out as they were there for quite long time, the Bodelwyddan deer are definitely fallow and have been in the area for over 150 years.