Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rook shooting

Rook shooting

Off topic I know but the farmer on the permission I have has asked me to shoot some rooks for him. Whats the best way about this and how do I do it? Never shot them so whens the best time of day, wind direction ect. Di I decoy for them and shoot with my shotgun or decoy and bait and pick them of with a rifle?? If I need decoys why is the best place to get some that are easy to carry and dont cost a fortune...oh and that actually work )))

Cheers

p

it would help to know what they are doing and what damage they are causing. Along with the rest of the corvids they are not the easiest birds to shoot. They will decoy, but after you find where they are gathering you want to get there really early before first light and get set up before they start arriving.
    If you get there after they have started feeding they will push off out of range and wait till you've gone. If your farmer friend has an old horse box or similar get him to park it in range for a few days then use that as a hide. Whatever you do they will cotton on to it quite quickly, so ring the changes from time to time.

remington 700 shoots heaps over decoys. use dead birds on cradles and a flapper. forget the rifle use the shotgun.

pigeon decoys work well sprayed black.like old keeper says they do learn fast so change your tactics around ,atb wayne

Quote Originally Posted by pete evans View Post
    remington 700 shoots heaps over decoys. use dead birds on cradles and a flapper. forget the rifle use the shotgun.

Yeah I know he does but he has sod off to Scotland shooting Reds , if I use the shotgun hope they land, stay still , that way I might hit them with it

I have a very fine PCP air rifle for sale that works very well from under rookeries!

Find the flight line then shoot them with shotgun,another way is to put some dead rabbits out in the field and shoot them at distance with a centrefire.

Quote Originally Posted by logburner View Post
    Find the flight line then shoot them with shotgun,another way is to put some dead rabbits out in the field and shoot them at distance with a centrefire.
    that's the 'fun' option and where those heavy barrel jobbies come in

YEAH MUCH MORE FUN plus they don't generally flap away if you hit them with a centrefire unlike a shotgun and any old carcas will do pegged out in a field i'v used and old dead lamb from roadkill with great effect at range they can't resist it.

ive heard that they come in well to pidgeon magnets, but obviously with rooks on instead of pidgeons plus a few rook decoys scatered around for good measure but all of this will cost you money so what i suggest is that you fine the flightline build your hide then just kill one rook and put it on its back in plaine view and as the rooks come over they go mad circling and mobing the dead bird and it also takes there attention off which gives you enough time to stad up and take aim with your shotgun, it works really well i was using this technique on a maize clamp earlier this year and the rooks were total oblivious to me as i stood up from behind a stack of pallets taking some shoots under 15yrds