Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoot the Doe or Kid first ?

Shoot the Doe or Kid first ?

Friend and I are in debate re the above. If you come across a doe with a dependent kid in tow, do you shoot the doe or kid first ?

If you shoot the kid presumably the doe will run. But if you shoot the doe the kid might run and starve or has experience shown that it will stay by the doe.

We'd like to know what the consensus is

Cheers

Scrun

I'd go with the kid first, or wait until the start of the new year...

I would never (knowingly) deprive a fawn of it's mother, which is why if I ever glass a doe I will wait a few minutes in case there's a young one in tow.

Shoot the fawn first everytime IMO
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

before 1st Jan I'll always take the kid first, and if two kids I'll try to take the doe kid and leave the buck (if there is one), or take the weaker looking of the two. Whatever really that's in line with your cull/management plans.

After 1st Jan, if the cull plan requires a harsh approach, then I would possibly consider taking the doe before the kid, but only if A. the cull plan requires it from a numbers perspective (which means you've probably not done your job in Nov/Dec!!) and/or B. it's a strong kid and it's a mild winter, so 'if' there was no chance to take the kid after the doe, it's survival chances are the best they can be.

In general though, I stick with kid only, or kid then doe, or doe only (if without kid).

Sometimes of course, you just can't afford to be picky either...do what you feel is right is usually my motto.

Not had to with Roe but with a last year calf in Red deer I would always shoot hind first.
    shoot a Hind and the calf will stick around for the second shot.
    shoot the calf first and you are unlikely to get a decent shot at the hind as they tend to run a lot further without the calf

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Not had to with Roe but with a last year calf in Red deer I would always shoot hind first.
    shoot the calf first and you are unlikely to get a decent shot at the hind as they tend to run a lot further without the calf
    Pretty much what happens with Roe.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    calf does stick around, true, but it's heartbreaking to see it watch it's mother die..don't like it too much...mind you, one has to get the numbers to keep the population balance healthy as well so you do have a point of course.

If you're paying for the day, deffo worth asking the guide, as some take a STRICT calf-first policy

Doe or kid

From a welfare point of view you should take the kid first then the doe.

i was going to ask the same question + i have seen now on 4 occassions triplets with the doe one is a lot smaller than the others i am thinkin to take the smaller one out with the winter coming when would be best to do this early or later in winter

Follow best practice, rather than this or that because of whatever, best practice is there for a reason.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!