Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do i need a case trimmer to start reloading??

Do i need a case trimmer to start reloading??

Hi all after some friendly advice from people on this site i have almost decided on the kit i will buy to get started, i realise this has been done to death (and then some) but it is always nice to get non-sales orientated advice before making a reasonably big purchase. I have decided to get an rcbs rock chucker kit which includes, rock chucker press, 505 scale, powder measure,hand prime tool, deburr tool, lube kit,funnel loading block and a speer reloading manual. I am also going to get a set of full size rcbs dies digital caliper and a powder trickler. I cant decide if i need a case trimmer and dont want to buy one if i dont need it as they seem to be about 100 quid, all my brass is once fired in my rifle hornady?

Can anyone point out anything else i would need or anything i dont need to get started. I am trying to gather everythin up while im waiting on the powder approval letter to come in!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated as i am a total beginner??

Depends on a couple of things. If you really want to work up accuracy, then trimming may help with consistency. Equally higher stressed cartridges like .22-250 or Swift will flow and may need trimming at some point. Also keep in mind that our transatlantic cousins cater for their home market. So as standard, many trimmers will not come equipped to deal with something European like 6.5x55. Means you have to buy more pilots etc...

I reloaded without using a trimmer for ages. Just means if your brass gets too long you may have to chuck it.

BTW what on earth is a powder approval letter?

Pat

You don't need a case trimmer for your first lot assuming you will be using new cases.
    And you don't need to spend 100 on one, they only take a thou off and it's not difficult with a hand one, mine cost... cost 6
    There have been a few occasions where I could have done with a kinetic hammer but I've managed without one up to now.

BTW what's a powder approval letter?
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

You absolutely need to trim cases. It is a must for safety reasons, if nothing else. If you are loading one or two standard calibers, get the Lee Trimmer and Lock stud assembly for each caliber. No set up, no adjustment. Every time you reload you simply give the Lee unit a twist. If the case needs trimming, it automatically takes off the right amount, if it doesn't need it, then it won't take off anything. I have them for every standard caliber I shoot. ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Pat_D View Post

BTW what on earth is a powder approval letter?
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

if you do ecide to trim your cases and to be honest i suggest you do get yourself a lee zip trim it will speed your trimming time up 10 fold

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    You absolutely need to trim cases. It is a must for safety reasons, if nothing else. If you are loading one or two standard calibers, get the Lee Trimmer and Lock stud assembly for each caliber. No set up, no adjustment. Every time you reload you simply give the Lee unit a twist. If the case needs trimming, it automatically takes off the right amount, if it doesn't need it, then it won't take off anything. I have them for every standard caliber I shoot. ~Muir
    Absolutely. X 2

Im not sure what the name for the letter is but in Northern Ireland we have to fill out an application form to buy powder and primers which must be approved by firearms and explosives branch and a copy sent to the gun dealer from whom you are buying said powder and one back to me then i can go get it. Are you talking about the lee zip trim muir? it looks a bit more cost effective than rcbs and lyman lathe trimmers.

OK I understand the Ireland issue. What I don't understand is what is dangerous about not trimming for someone who is buying a digital caliper and can check that cases are within SAAMI specs. It's not a question about convenience, but about why that would be dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Muir has it correct as usual.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......