Yuppy's

MrYou

Is our sport really turning into a field full of yuppies ????????

I have paid days out on various practices with lads comming out in fancy clothing costing a fortune, i mean a fortune...Harkila , drizabone, etc etc top notch wear for bunny bashing / foxing etc etc & climbing over farm gates & fences !! :lol: rippppppppp, with no rifle !! fancy elaborate sticks, designer labelled boots, digital this & that , glasses & state of the art optics glass that Patrick Moore would be in awe at !!

Everybody to there own, but....what happened to the hunter/ stalker /field man that brought a rilfe shot safe & with common sence , & experince buliding up from a kid, falling in his worn out jeans , getting a rollocking from his mum about the mud ??:confused:

Not a comfort washed pink polo shirt !! :-|

Where is it all going to ??

Maybe its me, im on budget equitment, that does the job perfect, with good / superb results,& the freezer is always bursting at the seams. I know im getting older, fitter & wiser , but geeeeeeeeeeeeee where the cave man instinct gone ??

Is our sport really turning into a field full of yuppies ????????

I have paid days out on various practices with lads comming out in fancy clothing costing a fortune, i mean a fortune...Harkila , drizabone, etc etc top notch wear for bunny bashing / foxing etc etc & climbing over farm gates & fences !! :lol: rippppppppp, with no rifle !! fancy elaborate sticks, designer labelled boots, digital this & that , glasses & state of the art optics glass that Patrick Moore would be in awe at !!

Everybody to there own, but....what happened to the hunter/ stalker /field man that brought a rilfe shot safe & with common sence , & experince buliding up from a kid, falling in his worn out jeans , getting a rollocking from his mum about the mud ??:confused:

Not a comfort washed pink polo shirt !! :-|

Where is it all going to ??

Maybe its me, im on budget equitment, that does the job perfect, with good / superb results,& the freezer is always bursting at the seams. I know im getting older, fitter & wiser , but geeeeeeeeeeeeee where the cave man instinct gone ??

You will be ok in your green (with envy) clobber...

I have ripped so many pairs of pants and some time twice in the same day its just not worth the it

haha

Some time back I got a great laugh in Edinburgh airport - I was flying to the Hebrides for hinds and there was a couple there in what were clearly brand new top money matching his and hers tweeds. While in no way would I tell them how to live their lives it must be said that they really stood out as having bought all this new "stuff" just for the trip, I bet their suitcases were full of new "gadgets" that the shop also sold them. I just had to laugh - specially as the plane had a roof and so the weather conditions onboard were really quite moderate.

In saying that there are times when quality is worthwhile and also we all like something different - it is what makes the world go round. So, I have a Musto Highland coat that I wear for fishing in bad weather and it might be considered posh. However, I also wear mostly army surplus for a lot of my fishing and stalking and for some people that might be considered a bit of a no-no.

It may also be that there is some measure of respect - perhaps some people like to dress up for an occasion such as wearing a suit and tie to a wedding when jeans and a t-shirt would do the job just as well. If you can only manage a few days stalking in the year then it might be nice to mark the occasion by dressing up a little.

So, while I understand the point I think it is also good that we still have the freedom to, basically, wear what we like when we go stalking based on our own reasons and preferences. If the government had their way the we'd have to do a 4 day course and an exam and have a certificate to prove we were competent to put on the right trousers for going stalking.

i know exactly what you mean mr you i just love it when you go on a game shoot beating and you look across at the guns knowing that you in your old army surplus kit have seen and done more than they ever will

I totally agree with all of the above, some look very nice indeed , very niiiiiiiice ( ladies in the mini tweed skirts & boots especially, should be mandatory at all events .... phworrrrrrr ) May its the guilt , i dunno thats gets me , :eek: when the brietling watch gets dingged on the dry stone wall, & the £3000+ shoot outfit misses the target !! GGRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrr :confused: oooooooooooops !

I use what i need , quality at a price to last....The Yorkshire man maybe has soaked into my continental blood :lol:
atb

i know exactly what you mean mr you i just love it when you go on a game shoot beating and you look across at the guns knowing that you in your old army surplus kit have seen and done more than they ever will

Now there is a sweeping statement!

Appearance IMO plays a small part on formal days. If I was invited to even a walk up as a guest I would wear tweed breeks and a shirt and tie. It's the way I have been brought up. My tweeds as they get older end up relegated to hill stalking and other similar abuse. But I also have numerous garments made of high tech fabric for shooting, stalking and fishing because they outperform a lot of the old stuff we just made do with. I wear them (and often abuse them) to keep me warm and dry. The fact of the matter is that these items often come with a price tag.

I agree though that for one or two days a year it is hardly worth the expenditure and you could tolerate the odd cold day or soaking.

What a sad, sorry, excuse for a thread.

Have you never heard the expression "never judge a book by it's cover"? Experience tells me that you judge the person, not the appearance. I don't care if it's stalking, game shooting, fishing or whatever - if they're interested in it and supporting fieldsports, good luck to them.

Everyone has to start somewhere in stalking......some come to it early, some later in life. Whether they're from a council house or a castle, they all have something to add.

willie_gunn

I spent a day on the hill the other day with a couple of friends. They had a mix of army surplus and other gear.

I had my "fancy clothing that costs a fortune". When the hammering rain and gale force winds kicked in they all took shelter behind a rock, I sat on top of the rock. At the end of it I was bone dry and warm, the same cannot be said for them.

You think of me as a Yuppy for having nice good kit that keeps me warm and comfortable during crap weather.

Personally I prefer to think of myself as sensible.

Last edited:
You think of me as a Yuppy for having nice good kid that keeps me warm and comfortable during crap weather.

Personally I prefer to think of myself as sensible.

On a lighter note, I'm not sure if that's the sort of thing you should admit to on an open forum!!:lol:

Remember if one man spends hundreds of pounds in the shop you go to, that allows the shop to stay open for you to spend your tenner.
There's nothing like dressing up for a days shooting, it's part of the day, even when beating I wear breeks.

It brings money into the industry, which is industry growth. Who cares what they wear as long as they are polite and wealthy.

And if the lonely poor shelf stacker from tesco's saves up all his pennies to buy a nice Harkila jacket for stalking you'll know he must be keen as mustard.

If a man stands beside his white van in discarded army cloths at the side of the road I'll think he's a poacher!

Don't judge a book buy it's cover.

Last edited:
What a sad, sorry, excuse for a thread.

Have you never heard the expression "never judge a book by it's cover"? Experience tells me that you judge the person, not the appearance. I don't care if it's stalking, game shooting, fishing or whatever - if they're interested in it and supporting fieldsports, good luck to them.

Everyone has to start somewhere in stalking......some come to it early, some later in life. Whether they're from a council house or a castle, they all have something to add.

willie_gunn

Extremely well put sir.

If I had the money I would buy all the latest top notch equipment, but what I don't get are the people that buy all the latest gadgets, new guns and clothing but don't use them hardly. I know a few guys that end up looking like Rambo with gadgets hanging from their belts and guns, garages full of decoys, magnets and pluckers then barely shoot anything and when are offered a days shoot at a price never can justify it. I'd rather pay for an experience than for equipment I don't need.

Mr You.
Typical Yorkshireman, inverted snobbery at its finest;). Just like Monty Python.
" Well of course we had it tough, had to go stalking with an old catapult and t" arse `anging out t" trousers.":lol:
Yorkie.

Mr You.
Typical Yorkshireman, inverted snobbery at its finest;). Just like Monty Python.
" Well of course we had it tough, had to go stalking with an old catapult and t" arse `anging out t" trousers.":lol:
Yorkie.

:lol:

I accept all, please dont mis interpret my initial post....like said the poaching looking outfit , dont do it for me, but a fact it does the job & i cannot get my head around a grand on clothing, to share with a barb wire fence on a slip down the pig wire , or a scope that tell of humidity, angles & distance...:eek: We need to use some instinct & learn by experience the field without relying on gadgets.

i.e -I have a 4x32 nikko strling scope that has accounted for 'lost count' freezer fillers from 2lb - 200lb beasties.
atb :)

Last edited:
I was once told by a wise old man who spent his entire life outdoors and loved it "There ain't no trick in roughing it, any fool can do that", never one heard him decry anybody for having expensive / good kit, did hear him express his approval a good few times though.

John

Back