Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Preston

Hi from Preston

Thought it was about time I registered, been reading round here for a while after being directed here on another shooting forum. I am hoping to take up stalking sometime in 2009, work permitting

Welcome to the site Stu, hopefully you should be able to get a lot of good advice and help on here.

Sounds as if next year is going to be a milestone for you

John

Welcome to the site Stu, your not a Simpsons fan per chance are you? , if you are, then doulbly welcome.

Good luck with your new venture, what was it again now?, ahhh yes, stalking .

Keep us posted on how you get on.

wadas

Yes its a Simpsons thing, a few people think it is because I have a thing for Landrovers and am called Stuart.

Newby

Hi stu
    in the same boat as me, good luck and i'll look out for you
    JayJay

Hi & welcome STU to this excellent site its really help full every one has helped me so far, im only across the Pennies from your self enjoy

NW

Welcome Stu

I live in The Forest of Bowland (roe, sika - the very odd red)

I'm afraid my ground in Lancs is restricted to me only - unless you've got some ground lined up or good mates locally with some then the nearest available I know is the BDS ground at Hawes (45 mins up the M6 turn right) or BASC at Thirlmere (same but turn left!).

I think both of the above give the opportunity to do DSC1 which - altough it has it's knockers is, I guess a good way in unless you can shoadow an experienced stalker for a year or 2.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be as hooked as the rest of us!

Nick

Re: NW

Quote Originally Posted by nickjackson
    Welcome Stu

I live in The Forest of Bowland (roe, sika - the very odd red)

I'm afraid my ground in Lancs is restricted to me only - unless you've got some ground lined up or good mates locally with some then the nearest available I know is the BDS ground at Hawes (45 mins up the M6 turn right) or BASC at Thirlmere (same but turn left!).

I think both of the above give the opportunity to do DSC1 which - altough it has it's knockers is, I guess a good way in unless you can shoadow an experienced stalker for a year or 2.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be as hooked as the rest of us!

Nick
    I have family who farm between Clitheroe and Gisburn but they are thinking of selling up I have seen quite a few roe on the land but no Sika. I have asked if I can go out with the foxing guy who shoots up there just to watch and learn really, having never used anything more powerful than an air rifle. So I am planning on observing, fetching carrying etc and improving my field craft and joining a rifle club before applying for my FAC and starting out on rabbits and foxes and hopefully undertaking DCS1 and putting in for a more suitable rifle.

Cheers

That sounds like the right approach Stu.

If they are between Gisburn (where the Sika escaped from - Lord Ribblesdale's Gisburn Park in the 19C) and Clitheroe then they are likley to have Sika.

While I was up there reducing rabbit numbers with a mate we could hear what I thought were Sika in the distance about a month ago in woodland that is not on my permission. The sound though quite faint seemed to scare my friend he is only starting out shooting and jumps at the sound of Hedgehogs, foxes, roe barking and livestock in the dark I have seen on other forums over the years new shooters trying to run before they can walk and expecting too much to soon, so hopefully the slow and steady approach will pay dividends.