Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: styer manlicher or sako?

styer manlicher or sako?

well now ive finally got what caliber i want sorted ive been looking at rifles and worked it down to 2 rifles styer pro hunter mountain mk11 syn/blue or sako 85 hunter wood blue and wondered what you chaps thought, should i save myself £300 and go with the styer or am i lossing £300 of workmanship by not going with the sako

I'd pick the Steyr Mannlicher every time. Usually lighter in weight than the Sako with hard to beat quality of components.
    Cheers,
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Thats the steyr with the horrible stock, or?
    Safety also needs getting used to.
    Out of the two you might be better off with the sako.
    or T3 and have the option of a good variety of aftermarket bits which
    might come in handy in years to come.
    edi

I like my steyr had no experience of sako but loads love them. Steyr are cheaper but seem well made. Try both it's personal preference at the end of the day. Don't think you'll go wrong with either. If I lived closer I'd let you have a go with mine.

sir-lamp-alot

I had a Pro-Hunter in 260 Rem and I liked it a lot. The magazine is nice and long, so there were no issues with loading long bullets into the lands. I liked the bolt, very well thought out. However I wasn't daft about the stock. In summary, it's an excellent rifle out of the box, but you can't improve anything and you can't change the barrel. I found it very hard to sell when I started down the road to the 260 Rem in my gallery.

I have handled a Sako 85 and own a Sako 75 (see my gallery). I don't think there is much difference in the accuracy of either brand, but the Sako is easier to re-barrel and re-stock. Although it has a good trigger, you can't fit a better trigger.

So, try each one out and see what you think, secondly give some consideration to whether or not you are going to ever spend more money on them. Also have a look on GunTrader to see what's around in your calibre. It's certainly a good time to buy.

Good luck. JCS

I was having this debate with my mate who has a Man-licker last week while on the red stags. This came about while much p!ss taking and drinking were done.
    Here is my take on it.

Man-licker,
    Obviously designed by Hamburg Homosexuals, the name says it all, look at the design and construction, aluminium receiver light weight pufter material; barrel formed into a pretty twist pattern, quite obviously gay, plastic/PVC magazine oh errmmm, Synthetic stocks are notoriously limp wristed, fore ends flop all over the place.
    The old Mannlichers before they came out of the cupboard ie 1903 actions or the SL range are good rifles

Sako,
    designed and built by Vikings, the receiver is machined from a solid man size block of steel, the barrels are deep blued and matt stainless, just what you would want on a proper rifle, the magazine is made of stainless steel, a proper heterosexual material, and you never hear of a limp wristed Sako stock.

Seriously put them side by side and you will see were you extra £300 quid went. Oh and the Sportsman are the importers of Man-lickers, hope it never goes wrong.

Sako’s shoot bigger stags too well they did on our last trip.

No offence meant to any of any members that might “bat for the other side”.

ATB

Tahr
    Last edited by Thar; 05-10-2011 at 20:17.

I've got both. Styer is excellent bar the stock but they have started putting Macmillan stocks on as a extra and don't get a blues barrel cause it rusts like mad.
    Sako fits well and bluing was good had it rebarrelled in stainless now. On 75 you struggle doing anything with trigger but you can get set triggers with 85 now.

Sir Lamp Alot,

I had this dilema eighteen months ago when I bought my first rifle. I had a go with both and sought opinions from others on here.

The Steyr has much in its favour. The safety system is different to others, but is good when you get used to it. Accuracy is up there with other rifles of similar price. However, I was put off by many stories about flexing in the fore end and the problems this causes. I also understand that the barrel is fitted into the action with a "push fit" design, which makes it very difficult to re-barrel. Some say they are, in effect, disposable. However, I'm not qualified to say if this is correct.

I ended up buying a Sako 85 and have since bought a second. The safety system on these rifles allows them to be loaded and unloaded with the safety catch on. They can be re-barrelled conventionally when shot out. Some find the magazine release system a bit odd - it requires upward pressure as well as pulling the catch. However, I got used to it quickly and I think most people would too. You will read very few posts about problems with Sako 85s and I have never heard about fore ends flexing.

I spent the extra cash on a Sako (twice) and have not regretted it yet.

Cheers,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post
    I was having this debate with my mate who has a Man-licker last week while on the red stags. This came about while much p!ss taking and drinking were done.
    Here is my take on it.

Man-licker,
    Obviously designed by Hamburg Homosexuals, the name says it all, look at the design and construction, aluminium receiver light weight pufter material; barrel formed into a pretty twist pattern, quite obviously gay, plastic/PVC magazine oh errmmm, Synthetic stocks are notoriously limp wristed, fore ends flop all over the place.
    The old Mannlichers before they came out of the cupboard ie 1903 actions or the SL range are good rifles

Sako,
    designed and built by Vikings, the receiver is machined from a solid man size block of steel, the barrels are deep blued and mat stainless, just what you would want on a proper rifle, the magazine is made of stainless steel, a proper heterosexual material, and you never hear of a limp wristed Sako stock.

Seriously put them side by side and you will see were you extra £300 quid went. Oh and the Sportsman are the importers of Man-lickers, hope it never goes wrong.

On offence to any of any members that might “bat for the other side”.

ATB

Tahr
    This has to be a contender for 'best ever post'! JC

Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post
    Here is my take on it.

Man-licker,

Sako,
    designed and built by Vikings, the receiver is machined from a solid man size block of steel, the barrels are deep blued and matt stainless, just what you would want on a proper rifle, the magazine is made of stainless steel, a proper heterosexual material, and you never hear of a limp wristed Sako stock.

No offence meant to any of any members that might “bat for the other side”.

ATB

Tahr
    Allways Sako.....
    one shot, one skill