Thread: Reloading Mentor

Reloading Mentor

Hi all,

I'm keen to get involved in reloading for my .243 and have spent the last 18mth or more reading up on the art.
    I am reluctant to take the plunge and buy all the kit(though i do have dies and brass) without a bit of hands on and sound face to face advice.

I am looking for someone local, experienced and patient to show me the ropes and let me watch as they load a few round as well as give advice on kit and working up loads.

I'm not asking for something for nothing and would be willing to pay in beer.

Quote Originally Posted by trucraft View Post
    Hi all,

I'm keen to get involved in reloading for my .243 and have spent the last 18mth or more reading up on the art.
    I am reluctant to take the plunge and buy all the kit(though i do have dies and brass) without a bit of hands on and sound face to face advice.

I am looking for someone local, experienced and patient to show me the ropes and let me watch as they load a few round as well as give advice on kit and working up loads.

I'm not asking for something for nothing and would be willing to pay in beer.
    Hi mate,assuming you have not seen them already on youtube theres loads of videos on reloading step by step,ok not as good as a mentor but pretty good all the same,it realy is not that hard if you take your time,good luck mate let us know how its progressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Hi mate,assuming you have not seen them already on youtube theres loads of videos on reloading step by step,ok not as good as a mentor but pretty good all the same,it realy is not that hard if you take your time,good luck mate let us know how its progressing.
    Thanx Hornet,
    I have watch some very good vids on youtube from neck turning to bullet seating but as you said not as good as someone local.
    If i have no luck on here probably will just bite the bullet and find my way so to speak

Quote Originally Posted by trucraft View Post
    Thanx Hornet,
    I have watch some very good vids on youtube from neck turning to bullet seating but as you said not as good as someone local.
    If i have no luck on here probably will just bite the bullet and find my way so to speak
    Hi,

I'm based in tunbridge wells, and I'd be more than happy to show/teach you correct and safe methods for reloading. I'm quote often around the forest row area, or you could always pop over to mine and I can run you through it.

PM me if this would be of any help to you.

Paddy

Hi,

I'm based in North Bedfordshire (nearest station Bedford) and would gladly assist if you can't find anyone closer.

On working up loads this is my process (other people will do it differently) -

First I find the best COAL and then the best load.

Measure the maximum COAL (to ogive) and load 50 rounds to that max length with a standard (middle of the road) powder charge then take the rounds plus calipers and a press to the range / your normal testing ground and fire off in three shot groups squeezed in at 5 thou intervals until you get best COAL grouping.

Having got the best COAL grouping, then play with the load + / - 0.3gr to tighten the group.

Decide your final goal (killing stuff or putting tight holes in paper) and settle for 1/2" at 100 yards which any decent .243 in the hands of a reasonable shot will achieve? Also, are you shooting off a bipod, off sticks or out of a high seat? You results will differ with each one and you need to practice accordingly. No good off a fixed bench if all of your shooting is off the sticks?

Also, don't give up on the COAL. I've had a 22-250 that shot best groups at -137 and a 7mm-08 which is best tight on the lands. All rifles (even same make & calibre) will be different.

Most important is to enjoy the loading as much as the shooting?

PM me if any more info required.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Quote Originally Posted by Eyefor View Post
    Hi,

I'm based in North Bedfordshire (nearest station Bedford) and would gladly assist if you can't find anyone closer.

On working up loads this is my process (other people will do it differently) -

First I find the best COAL and then the best load.

Measure the maximum COAL (to ogive) and load 50 rounds to that max length with a standard (middle of the road) powder charge then take the rounds plus calipers and a press to the range / your normal testing ground and fire off in three shot groups squeezed in at 5 thou intervals until you get best COAL grouping.

Having got the best COAL grouping, then play with the load + / - 0.3gr to tighten the group.

Decide your final goal (killing stuff or putting tight holes in paper) and settle for 1/2" at 100 yards which any decent .243 in the hands of a reasonable shot will achieve? Also, are you shooting off a bipod, off sticks or out of a high seat? You results will differ with each one and you need to practice accordingly. No good off a fixed bench if all of your shooting is off the sticks?

Also, don't give up on the COAL. I've had a 22-250 that shot best groups at -137 and a 7mm-08 which is best tight on the lands. All rifles (even same make & calibre) will be different.

Most important is to enjoy the loading as much as the shooting?

PM me if any more info required.
    Great advice Eyefor, wouldn't have thought to find best COAL 1st.
    How about different tips, would you narrow down to 3 or 4 types/ brands at a gr that suits the barrel twist and test all the above from scratch?

Real shame your so far up the road as no much joy locally yet!