Dmq nEW system

Pete E

I agree the less red tape the better. However the DSC1 is being flagged up by the FE, some landowners and private sector forestry companies as a requirement if you wish to shoot on the land they control. The police are also getting in on the act! This is happening because all parties involved can take comfort from the fact that DSC1 is a recognised qualification that has been endorsed by BASC, FE, SNH, DCS etc, etc. In other words possession of a DSC1 ‘ticks the box’ and makes life easier for land managers and the police.
My view is that land managers and the like do need a ‘comfort blanket’ of sorts but it need not be DSC1.I occasionally get involved in drawing up stalking leases and have resisted inserting any clauses referring to DMQs, but do insist on proper insurance and good referees. In the absence of a credible alternative I think DSC1 will be pushed harder and harder and become ‘mandatory’ by default…not good for recreational stalkers. Surely there must be a more efficient and cost effective way to gain an FAC and stalking.

My 15 year old son (who doesn't live with me) received his FAC from North Yorks today for 6.5 x 55 and 9.3 x 62. Allowed to shoot Deer in GREAT BRITAIN with BOTH yet I can't (LINCs with 9.3 x 62) but until he's 17 can't "acquire" the rifles. Not a problem because he can't have any ammo and is effectively using "estate rifle" but only in the calibres on his FAC.

All down to showing "need", not right. I only got my FAC in Feb this year.

I believe it all comes down to showing that you are responsible, have an understanding of the DANGERS/RISKS/LIABILITIES involved and that you are willing to take action (or show what you are doing about it) in order to counter the not unreasonable concerns that the Chief Constable's office may have. No target shooting (should show need through membership of an approved club), only DEER STALKING.

LINCs never insisted on anything with me. I showed current experience and a "planned" progression in acquiring experience. Bookings with "paid stalking" helps show need. Membership of a "Home Office Approved" shooting club was NOT one of my choices. Huddersfield Gun Club on Paul Lane will still insist on new applicants with an FAC and own weapon attend seven one hour "instructional" sessions before acceptance. No bad thing. Mate is a member so I turn up with him and pay a fiver to shoot two or three times a year. Cheaper than £75 a year and the £150 it cost to go through the total joining process.

I chose to do DSC1 and am working toward DSC2 because I can learn. Yes, I now have permissions. Is it the future of accredition in the UK, don't know. Will accredition in the UK be "necessary", it already is. Live with it. Better a light hand than a heavy hand. It can all be achieved with PRE PLANNING and experience and only examination at the end.

None of us would consider allowing our daughters to accept the "Free driving lesson" and then taking a driving test straight away. The driving test has a "cost", it's just the lessons leading up to it we bitch about. Learning to drive ain't cheap and the product "passed" certainly ain't "safe" but we live with it. No L driver expects to be doing it all in their own car (though to spoil my point, you can own a car without a driving license, just can't use it on your own), same with anyone who want's to "wander the countryside, armed with a high velocity weapon".

Saying " I want to take up deer stalking, need my own rifle, have no permissions to shoot on and have nothing planned or booked" is likely to fall on deaf ears. and haunt the applicant.

There's alway's the St. Hubert's approach which will give you an equal accredition after four years :)

Pay attention to your covering letter with your FAC Application, that's what will show your need. Work the system, address the issues that your local Police have, speak to the FEO that will address your application FIRST. Do not assume that your desire = NEED.

Stan

Back