Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22/250 Reloading Query

22/250 Reloading Query

I have just got back in from lamping and need to see if anyone can throw any light on my little problem.

I started reloading a couple of weeks ago and have done quite a few in 2-3 times fired Remington brass with no problems at all, so I thought I would buy some once fired Federal cases.

Any way the process as follows

Resize deprime trim chamfer inside and out and then into the ultra sonic for a clean, blow out with a airline and then somewhere warm to dry.

Any way my problem is when I went to chamber the first one tonight the bolt was real stiff to lock down. It went forward fine it was just the locking down of the bolt, I tried a few more and there was others like but then some where ok

Is it likely to be the brass or something else.

Any ideas or thoughts will be appreciated

Wayne

If you didn't full length resize, do so. Adjust the FL sizer die downward until the bolt closes on an empty case with a faint resistance. Load and be happy.~Muir.

yes as muir said you need to full length size them. as they where shot in a different rifle. i have to full length size all my 17 fireball brass. even from new. because its to tight in the chamber.

get a case in the full length die and go abit at a time till its a snug fit when you close the bolt. soon as that happens. do the rest of them.
    what load are you using in your 22/250.

also what i do is stick to one brand of cases. as your find some have different capacity's. so its nice to keep things more consistent

atb jamie

Thanks for the responses.

I had to ring my mate this morning to ask him if it was a full length re-sizer as I got it of him - which he said it is.

When I bought the gun I got 40 rounds of Remington factory ammo which has been reloaded 3 times now and I have not had a issue with this brass. The load I am using is 41gn of H380 with 50gn Nosler BT. The bullets are working fine with no signs of excess pressure, as I said its loading the new bullets not when opening the bolt once they have been fired.

Some seem better than others maybe the gun just prefers Remington brass over Federal brass.

Regards

Wayne

Wayne, the federal brass has been fired in someone else's chamber, you need to fit the brass to your own chamber dimensions by full length sizing the case. It's got nothing to do with your rifle liking a particular brand of brass

If you are using a load even close to a warm load in the rem brass you'll have to back off a bit as the federal brass is thick and soft in comparison. Utter junk IMO. I hope you didn't pay too much for it as it is likely to have loose primer pockets in couple of firings.

The brass has been full length re-sized and trimmed the same as the Remington brass thats ok.

what kind of Die?
    have you measured the outer dimensions of your loaded federal vs rem brass?

i would chuck the brass and buy some new brass. a good make like nostler custom brass will set you back around 38 for 50 cases. its superb and consistent
    im on the 4th firing of mine now and i havent even had to trim it yet. and that is running a fairly hot load.

pitty your far away i have one of those round metal sweet tins full of 22/250 brass all once fired. norma,winchester,remmington etc you could of had the lot
    if you dont mind using different makes

i just stick to one make now nostler.

Quote Originally Posted by jay 22 View Post
    i would chuck the brass and buy some new brass. a good make like nostler custom brass will set you back around 38 for 50 cases. its superb and consistent
    im on the 4th firing of mine now and i havent even had to trim it yet. and that is running a fairly hot load.

pitty your far away i have one of those round metal sweet tins full of 22/250 brass all once fired. norma,winchester,remmington etc you could of had the lot
    if you dont mind using different makes

i just stick to one make now nostler.
    Nosler Custom is normal Federal brass that has been headstamped differently and weight sorted, IMHO its overpriced for what you are getting. if you really want decent brass for your 22-250 get 100 pieces of Lapua brass.