Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cleaning T8 moderators?

cleaning T8 moderators?

Back from a serious foul weather stalk, the rifles is clean, but looking down in the T8 moderator shows up some slight corrosion. I have run a brush down for the sake of it and sprayed a little solvent in both ends and let this drain out and dry. I realise this is the way it is with T8 reflex mods but ask after advice.

Hi WW.
    All I ever did with mine was spray a bit of WD40 or Napier aerosol gun cleaner down it, and stand it on end somewhere warm to dry out after each use, particularly rainy use. Just gave the outside a bit of a wipe down with an oily rag. Never saw the slightest bit of rust anywhere after several years and several thousand rounds worth of service.

Hi Woodsman.

I used to have a T8 myself. Have a look at this thread - T8 Moderator Failure. , in the search bar. I posted a picture of my mod which I kept clean and well dried out ofter wet outings. I noticed a rattle, which I thought was grit or carbon, but it never disappeared. One day the mod let go, as a baffle had corroded at the weld. The neoprene cover was taken off after every stalk, and put back on before the next outing, so trapped moisture was not a factor.

Have gone for a modular mod now, so I can strip it down to clean it, and I have to say, it is well worth the money. Plenty of choice these days aswell...

All the best.

Neil.

Looks like it could be serious. I have also always taken off the moderator after stalking and neoprene cover and let it dry out. I guess I am lumbered with the T8 bought already for time being but I will carefully spray it with solvent and let it dry out after first drying it of any moisture. I think if any T8 has a tinkling sound in it or other it needs retirement quick. Next moderator will be strippable.

I do think it is highly important to remove the moderator form the rifle in the cabinet so that rust and corrosion does not leak back into the barrel!

I do think it is highly important to remove the moderator form the rifle in the cabinet so that rust and corrosion does not leak back into the barrel!
    Very very very important, dissimilar metal corrosion will occur between the end of the barrel and the mod ruining your nice crown and making your rifle shoot really poorly. Not to mention the corrosion resulting in the residual gases in the mod. My t8 is less than a year and it's looking pretty poorly already, but it does seem quiet substantial compared to others.

The T8 I have has just developed a black pinhole after 7 years of use, I spray the outside with a light oil and wipe it down but never have I sprayed anything inside it.

The shots that have been through this mod may be in the thousands so its not exactly had light use.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

[QUOTE=klunk;266645]Hi WW.
    All I ever did with mine was spray a bit of WD40 aerosol gun cleaner down it, and stand it on end somewhere warm to dry out after each use. Just gave the outside a bit of a wipe down with an oily rag.[/QUOTE

X 2 and just what the instruction book says,

WD 40 squirted inside the mod and rolled about, then stood up to allow the oil and crud to run out. The outside spayed with gun oil then the neoprene cover put back on.
    Al

brake cleaner inside it,dry and then WD40
    I`m afraid when i die the wife will sell my gear for the price i told her

Never leave it on over a long period of time, always take it off after every outing ive been told.
    Neil