Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .300 Win Mag

.300 Win Mag

Hi Guys,

I am looking at getting a .300 win mag but not quite sure which make would be best. I have a budget of around the 1000 mark. I've had a look at Tikka but they take several months to make ( special order in 300 ) which is no good, i'm off the namibia in April 2012 and would like to get used to it and find a good load before i go.

Anyone out there use this calibre or have any suggestions of a make / supplier?

ATB

Get a secondhand one as the likelihood is that it will not have seen a lot of use.
    I got an old BSA 300 Win Mag for next to nothing and it had had only 60 rounds through it!
    Get a cheap(er) rifle and spend the money on a decent scope and mounts.

Hi u32dw,

I recently got back from Namibia a few weeks ago from my first Africa trip so pm if you've got any question's. With regards to your .300 win mag I would go with secondhand or maybe a new Howa if you can stretch to it with a decent scope (Always spend on the scope and mounts). The boys out there were mainly using 7mm or .300 mag's as I was north of Outjo were ranges were quite a bit father than usual. As for ammo I would use 160+ grain ammo, preferably 180 grain soft point which again was what the guys were using. Hope you have fun.

Snag

There is a Brno ZKK602 on guntrader for under 500, looks like it is in good condition. It will also be heavy-ish, but this is a benefit for a 300 mag.

Put a decent scope on it and learn your trajectory out to at least 300 metres.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I have to be totally bias, I would recommened a Blaser R93.
    I have used it on 7 trips to Africa, with the exception of one trip, the land that I hunt on is totally flat so shots out to 300+ are a daily occurance.
    As I said totally bias as it works for me all the time.
    Any help you ned for your trip please just PM and I hope you have a great time.

Regards

DavieH

Cheers for the replies guys and the offers of advice. I already have a s&b scope (8x56) on my .243 which i was planning to transplant onto a .300, which should do the job nicely? As far as zeroing is concerned i was thinking of around the 150yds mark and, as you guys have mentioned, learn the drop of the round out to 300yds.

I think 2nd hand might be the way to go but i'm not too sure yet. i'll keep an eye on the variuos websites for one.

ATB

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Snagman View Post
    Hi u32dw,

I recently got back from Namibia a few weeks ago from my first Africa trip so pm if you've got any question's. With regards to your .300 win mag I would go with secondhand or maybe a new Howa if you can stretch to it with a decent scope (Always spend on the scope and mounts). The boys out there were mainly using 7mm or .300 mag's as I was north of Outjo were ranges were quite a bit father than usual. As for ammo I would use 160+ grain ammo, preferably 180 grain soft point which again was what the guys were using. Hope you have fun.

Snag
    Hi Snagman,

Which route did you fly when going out there? I was planning on going with air namibia from frankfurt but i've heard through the grape vine that they are in some finnancial difficulty, wouldn't want the flights to be cancelled last minute...

Cheers,

Dave

For Africa don't bother with less than 180gr premium bullet such as Swift Aframe. 8x56 will do the job but not ideal for longer shots. Don't forget that your scope is not just for shooting, it can also be a valuable evaluation tool for picking out the biggest ram in the herd, or perhaps looking for blood on a wounded animal in a herd. Also with a 300 with 180gr I find these easiest way to zero in camp is to put a target up at 30yds and zero dead on at this distance. This will put you 2" high at 100 dead on at 200 and 6.5" low at 300. I find this a fairly easy trajectory to remember and is more than adequate for plains game. You can then confirm
    This with a couple of distance shots if you wish, but I find it's invariably spot on. As far as rifles go you definitely want something slightly heavier than usual, without a pencil for a barrel, if it's too light you won't enjoy shooting it, you won't practice, you won't feel confident and you will wound game. Also you'll be more likely to put a muzzle break on the end which will automatically put you in your PHs bad books.

If you are looking secondhand, don't forget the 300 H & H, not that different ballistically to the Win. (Proper Africa rifle as well with all the romance should still be able to get shells for it out there but worth a check.

David.

PM adamant off this site he has a very nice 300 forsale and i have seen it shoot very good groups