Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Aid Kits - Views please

First Aid Kits - Views please

First Aid Kits

Looking for some constructive feedback and views on this subject. Effectively market research, so with permission from admin we are making it a prize draw in return for your help.

Will run thread until 30th October 2011, then first thing Monday morning we will put the name of all contributors to the thread into a hat and draw one winner. Prize will be a Webtex Small First Aid Kit posted to the winner. REVISED _ CLOSING DATE MONDAY 17TH OCTOBER!!

Of all the items we sell, the First Aid kit ( FaK ) section generates the least amount of interest. Indications are this is pretty much true across the industry. Most sales are ‘must do’ – ie someone has been told they must have one or (more worryingly) has just had an injury or near miss. Worse, once bought, many are never opened until needed – in the hope the right things are in there!

There are lots of various reasons for this and happy to explore those in this thread for benefit of everyone – but do want to avoid this thread becoming bogged down with debate regards training or techniques etc - if interest there, will happily raise a separate thread.

So,

1. If you have a kit, why did you buy it? Where do you keep it?
    2. Have you used it and if so, was the content effective?
    3. What do you like and dislike about what you have?
    4. If you don’t have a FaK, what would prompt you to get one?
    5. How much do you think about your needs and how much do you just rely on an off the shelf kit?
    6. Would a basic kit in a simple bag – to fit your pocket, pack or existing pouch appeal. One with a few essential items, just enough components but of good quality?
    7. Anyone have an off the shelf kit where the plasters actually stick?

That’s it to get things rolling.

Many Thanks.
    Last edited by Moray Outfitting; 13-10-2011 at 10:08.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post
    4. If you donít have a FaK, what would prompt you to get one?
    5. How much do you think about your needs and how much do you just rely on an off the shelf kit?
    6. Would a basic kit in a simple bag Ė to fit your pocket, pack or existing pouch appeal. One with a few essential items, just enough components but of good quality?
    1. I have two kits, bought as I guide clients on a somewhat regular basis. The small kit is in my stalking bag, the bigger one is in the car
    2. Yes, and yes (though electrical tape works better than the plasters )
    3. Like the fact that the kit is small, dislike crap plasters, dislike the fact that it's designed for a grazed knee and not a knife/shot wound
    4. Would like a better one, more geared to knife/shot type injuries
    5. Not enough, and too much
    6. Yes, and yes
    7. No, but I have a handkerchief where if I lick the corner it can cure all known ills

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Hi,
    I have been a copper and a bouncer and the main thing I always wanted in a first aid kit were big trauma pads. The kind of thing that is the size of a face cloth and mega absorbant that you could jam down onto a stab wound, gusnshot wound or glassing and stem bleading. My kit on my car has several such pads, I have the od finger bandage and 1 triangualr bandage but most comercial first aid kits are full of them. I went on the web and bought a first aid box and filled it with the stuff I thought was important. I think you can buy direct from St Johns Amubulance.

Ian

Assuming we are only talking about human first aid kits, and not dog kits ( there could be an opening in the market for you) then here are my answers.

1. Yes I carry two first aid kits, a small one in my stalking bag, and a more comprehensive one is kept in the vehicle at all times not just for stalking.
    2. Yes I have used both a number of times, my stalking kit when out with cuts mainly, and the larger one for cuts, an RTA, and a broken toe ( dont ask.>>)
    3. I like the fact the small one comes in a waterproof bag, which is mainly soft and therefore easily packable, the larger one is more comprehensive but I have added items to both eg eyewash, matches, painkillers, bite relief, tick tools, super glue, spare laces etc. Dislikes would be that I had to add these items in the first place.
    4 N/A
    5. Very quickly learned the hard way not to rely on an off the shelf kit..
    6. Yes and Yes, as long as it was aimed more at the type of injuries more likely to be sustained whilst stalking, than a general first aid kits aimed at burns/sprains/cuts.
    7. In fairness the plasters I had in a small kit from GO outdoors were ***** at sticking, the more expensive kit came from Boots and they were pretty sticky, even had some silver plasters in there to speed up healing/stop bleeding.

Thank you for the prompt and detailed responses thus far - good stuff.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

If you have a kit, why did you buy it? Where do you keep it?
    1 Tisos, in my rucksack.
    2 Supplied by work, in the car boot.
    3 Supplied by work, on my desk at work.
    Have you used it and if so, was the content effective? Ok, but added the dressing tape myself.
    What do you like and dislike about what you have? Needed to add the tape myself.
    If you donít have a FaK, what would prompt you to get one? Not applicable.
    How much do you think about your needs and how much do you just rely on an off the shelf kit? See above. Small self inflicted cuts are the main issue I have.
    Would a basic kit in a simple bag Ė to fit your pocket, pack or existing pouch appeal. One with a few essential items, just enough components but of good quality? Yes, thatís whatís in the rucksack.
    Anyone have an off the shelf kit where the plasters actually stick? Yes.
    Regards JCS

First Aid Kits

4. If you donít have a FaK, what would prompt you to get one?
    6. Would a basic kit in a simple bag Ė to fit your pocket, pack or existing pouch appeal. One with a few essential items, just enough components but of good quality?
    1. Bought it for work predominantly but also take it whilst stalking.
    2. Not had to use it yet.
    3. The kits can be quite compact, but they only ever seem to have basic stuff in there. Could be more geared towards the shooter.
    4. N/A
    5. The FaK off the shelf is basic, so I have added more things to cover my needs. Stuff like First Field Dressing/Israeli Bandage, Celox (Temporary traumatic wound treatment), Imodium.
    6. Yes definitely.
    7. Not had to try them yet!

I have a self assembled kit.
    Kept handy in stalking pack with the knives.
    Blue plasters, sterile scalpel, hand cleansing tissue, a biggish trauma pad. triangular bandage and 4 aspirins.

mobile phone in the pack too.

regards old man

yes i have 1st aid kits one in a bum bag and another one in the car

the one on the bum bag was a make up affair with items i wanted rather than a bought kit

it contains big pads with bandages attatched think they get called "isralei bandages " or summit

but...............
    i purposely bought a sachet of "QUICKCLOT" beleive it has other trade names....its basically a sachet of powder you pour onto a profusley bleeding wound and it clots helping to prevent or slow down rapid blood loss.....i think the forces guys will be able to shed more light on it i bought a large sachet baring in mind we are dealing with firearms here. rumour it causes bad scarring but if yer still alive to moan bout some scarring then you know it worked

hopefully never have to use it

plus one fur duct tape or leccy tape ...far better than plasters if things wet or yer in a hurry

sauer/ paul

Myself and the mrs have decent quality first aid kits due to our jobs of supporting young people with mental health and sever ADHD etc and understand the importance of maintaining one.

1. We have one in the bathroom and one a pieace in our car's, afther going on many re-fresher first aid courses and the nature of our jobs that was enough to convince us to have one.
    2. Yes when sharpening the chain on my chain saw file slipped off my fore-arm slipped and caught the chain. My kit was effective used sterile wipes bandage and a gauze.
    3. I like mine through pieace of mind, don't dislike anything about it.
    4. I wood prompt anybody to get one who doesn't.
    5. I dont think about my needs that much as times i do have to put myself in critical situations due to the nature of my job, i rely on the nurses store room.
    6. Of course its not a case of how big your package is its how you use it and to what affect.
    7. No, but im back on the chainsaw this weekend after a ash tree has blown down in my garden so might be able to let you no regaurding the plasters.

Weeman