Thread: 6.5x57

6.5x57

Hi all, does anyone use or have used a 6.5x57 and if so how did you find it compared to the 6.5x55 and performance generally.
    I have just put a deposit down on a lovely Heym SR21 and the faithfull Tikka T3 lite 6.5xx55 must sadly go......have I done the right thing???

Nice soft shooting round, you will be slightly limited in brass selection, RWS is probably the best available. One thing however is the factory chamberings still have excessively long throats to accomadate heavier bullets. You may have a bit of trouble shooting the lighter bullet weights commonly used for uk stalking. Ballistically its the twin of the 6.5x55. The only other thing is it's a slightly obscure round over here and you may have trouble if you decide to sell it on

Quote Originally Posted by danpd View Post
    Nice soft shooting round, you will be slightly limited in brass selection, RWS is probably the best available. One thing however is the factory chamberings still have excessively long throats to accomadate heavier bullets. You may have a bit of trouble shooting the lighter bullet weights commonly used for uk stalking. Ballistically its the twin of the 6.5x55. The only other thing is it's a slightly obscure round over here and you may have trouble if you decide to sell it on
    The only proviso with RWS brass in 7x57, which I assume you will neck down to use in a 6.5 is the non standard dimensions of the case head, so that you have to use a larger case holder than shown in all the manuals; it is also somewhat robust in dimensions and needs very careful attention to FL resizing to avoid feeding problems with fired cases.

Other than that, its much like a 6.5x55 to shoot, accurate and gentle on the shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka 260 View Post
    The only proviso with RWS brass in 7x57, which I assume you will neck down to use in a 6.5 is the non standard dimensions of the case head, so that you have to use a larger case holder than shown in all the manuals; it is also somewhat robust in dimensions and needs very careful attention to FL resizing to avoid feeding problems with fired cases.

Other than that, its much like a 6.5x55 to shoot, accurate and gentle on the shooter.
    RWS make 6.5x57 brass so no need to muck about forming brass. I would probably buy 100rds of factory ammo and shoot those first, then worry about reloading later.