Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st fox

Established Poster

1st fox

Shot my first fox the other night with the CZ EBONY EDITION .223 first night out with it and he came into around 130yrds after the ducks and as he walked accross i just gave a short skweek he stopped and looked at me..then thud he dropped where he stood, i used norma 3.2 gram v-max hornady 50 grain, not used anything else yet but my rifle seems to like theese, when i got to him i couldnt find any dammage outside the body at first then i spotted a small entry hole just behind the front leg but no exit hole, i was supprised at this as it wasnt a massive distance ANY THOUGHTS GUYS on anything? like i said its my first fox and new to using .223 thanks for reading

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by mal mason View Post
    Shot my first fox the other night with the CZ EBONY EDITION .223 first night out with it and he came into around 130yrds after the ducks and as he walked accross i just gave a short skweek he stopped and looked at me..then thud he dropped where he stood, i used norma 3.2 gram v-max hornady 50 grain, not used anything else yet but my rifle seems to like theese, when i got to him i couldnt find any dammage outside the body at first then i spotted a small entry hole just behind the front leg but no exit hole, i was supprised at this as it wasnt a massive distance ANY THOUGHTS GUYS on anything? like i said its my first fox and new to using .223 thanks for reading
    Congratulations! on first fox and good clean kill, ducks saved from that one, watch out for its replacement which will probably be along soon.

Well done Mal...ref damage does it really matter if there is or is not much damage ? NO..one dead fox is all that matters...will get you out with me in few weeks when i get home.

Mick

your not seeing any damge because the bullet prob hasnt exited as basically blown up inside the fox and all of the energy has been dumped into the fox which is a good but please dont always think that this will happen every the bullet will at some point exit the fox so dont think that a fox is a good back stop also well done on your 1st fox

waterbed

i bet it felt like a water bed when you lifted it. some foxes shot with the 223 look like they have died in their sleep while other look like they have been run over. I dont get many rounds leaving fox at +150m but less than 100 most rounds exit , i use 60gr v-max in 223

Established Poster
    yeh it did feel like it was a bit loose inside lol felt like it all droped to the head when i picked it up, oh and tamus even the next night he had another two ducks killed and he has been leaving dead ducks out and they have been taken, but did see a few badger about thinking they could be taking the dead duck as well??? mick defo get out when your back bell me, cheers guys i have been back but not seen much exept a couple of eyes at the top of the hill just sat in same place for a while arount 300yrds and wouldnt come any nearer wasnt really sure it was a fox or not but still couldnt take the shot unless he came down the hill for safety.

Well done on your first fox ........many more to come hopefully !

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    your not seeing any damge because the bullet prob hasnt exited as basically blown up inside the fox and all of the energy has been dumped into the fox which is a good but please dont always think that this will happen every the bullet will at some point exit the fox so dont think that a fox is a good back stop also well done on your 1st fox
    Good advice there mate,congrats on the charlie the first of many Im sure,vmax explode inside them most of the time,sometimes especially shot with .22 hornet I struggle to find any external damage but they feel like a hot water bottle inside

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    In full agreement on this, sounds like the perfect result here, but take note as has been said, not all shots will result in no exit. Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Established Poster
    yeh i have been tought by the best when it comes to safety before i accuired my FAC steve, so i know all the do's and dont's, im no stranger to shooting as i picked my 1st air rifle up around 10yrs old and never gave it up and im 21 now ha ha or is it 45 any way thanks guys for the comments and happy hunting i love to get out more but its always raining in england