Copper Bullets

timbrayford

Has anyone had practical experience of using copper bullets such as Barnes or Nosler E tips on deer in .243 ? If so how do they compare with ballistic tips and partitions regarding stopping power and carcase damage - particularly on Reds, Sika and Fallow :rolleyes:

In a 243 there is no benefit to using a monolithic bullet, they work best in overbore and magnum cartridges where impact velocities are high enough to let them work correctly. If you do decide to try them you need choose a bullet which is lighter than you would normally use in that calibre for that species, I.E in a .270 you would use a 100gn as opposed to the traditional 130gn, in 243 you would use 85gr, this is so that they expand. If you use heavy bullets without the increase in velocities as in a magnum you will experience very poor expansion and probably find that your quarry runs a considerable distance.

IMO why use a bullet with so many caveats when traditional technology gets the job done. Also they are between importers in the UK and supply can be problematical, not to mention the prohibitive cost. if you want to use a premium bullet there are much better choices from Nosler, RWS, Norma, Swift etc and you will be happy with the performance. One other thing is that Barnes are real buggers for releasing a new bullet and then just as you finally get some and get a load worked up, they discontinue that bullet and bring out something new.

I've been using the 6mm (.243) Barnes TTSX in 80 grains: not shot that much with it, 2 munties and 3 fallow prickets I didn't have any problems. The munties both dropped on the spot and the carcases were very clean inside. Of the 3 fallow, 1 dropped on the spot and the other 2 managed about 10-20m before dropping. Game dealer got the fallow, but carcase damage was minimal. Not tried any other bullets, so can't comment on how they compare with leaded alternatives.

However: you do need to push it quite fast to be legal, though being solidly constructed that's not a problem. Note that I'm running a 1 in 8, the bullets are quite long so I don't know what stability is like in a 1 in 10, also I had to seat the bullets quite deep.

I was actually going to ask the same as your thread Tim as priced Nosler partitions yesterday and £48 for 50...WOW!...as you haved started the thread hope you dont mind me asking if anyone knows of a cheaper alternative that isnt an all copper construction but is more like a partition?

Found this on the net....not sure about the Gamekings as an alternative, anyone got a view on that

Will the Nosler plant explosion have any impact on availability of Federal Premium Nosler offerings this year?
A: We’re pleased that no one was seriously injured in the Nosler® plant explosion. We anticipate limited availability of Nosler bullets in our Premium® rifle ammunition offering this hunting season. We’re proud to offer the largest selection of high-quality bullets for hunters. Our Trophy Bonded® and Trophy Bonded Tip, Barnes® Triple-Shock and Sierra® GameKing are all good alternatives to Nosler’s Partition®, AccuBond® and Ballistic Tip®. We look forward to getting additional Nosler products once they are readily available again.

Hope the above helps Tim if the copper aint for you.

Last edited:
If one must got to all copper bullets then perhaps you should look at the South Africa GS range... There are those who claim Barnes simply copied the GS design. There is also a German firm producing these type bullets. A web search should find them.

Used the copper rounds in my 270, very accurate. Shot Red,Sika and Roe with them.They do what they say on the box, knock deer down very well. it was the Federal Barnes 130gr rounds I was using, now using Norma 110gr copper rounds with plastic tips, still as accurate but not as hard hitting as the Federal rounds. Would love to try them in my 243, if you get some let us know how they perform
Al

If one must got to all copper bullets then perhaps you should look at the South Africa GS range... There are those who claim Barnes simply copied the GS design. There is also a German firm producing these type bullets. A web search should find them.

I would forget about GS Custom if i were you, even the gun shops in South Africa that used to sing their praises have stopped stocking them. I dont know whether the issues lie with manufacturing or distribution, but you just cannot reliably get hold of what you need. Certainly not a good option for your main stalking round as you may be months between being able to get hold of any if at all. Great bullets when they work though.

This is all very interesting, when I have obtained and loaded some copper I shall let you know how I get on, if I can find the relevent data I shall try N 140 and H4831 powders as I have made some quite acceptable groups with these and the nosler 90grn ballistic tips

The monoliths work very, very well.

Barnes TSX are the choice for me, very little damage and DRT performance.

Yea they may be a quid a bullet - when your getting the revenue from the game dealer from the carcass, are they that expensive then....?

GS custom - order them from Europe, they are excellent but supply is temperamental becuase theyve concentrated on the US market for the last three years. Do not attempt to use the UK importers, ,,,,,im still waiting on a re-call from two years ago.

Lutz Moeller also makes CNC solids - in Germany, he used a flat nosed design with poly tip insert, Ive used some of his larger fare (338) but nothing recently.

Personally Ive found no issues with getting a load developed or the accuracy / terminal performance of LTS (Lathe turned solids) from any manufacturer.

?

GS custom - order them from Europe, they are excellent but supply is temperamental becuase theyve concentrated on the US market for the last three years. Do not attempt to use the UK importers, ,,,,,im still waiting on a re-call from two years ago.

Oh do you mean that useless bunch up in Scotland?

Back