Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a .270 too much for Roe?

Is a .270 too much for Roe?

I'm an extremely novice stalker having only had one previous outing for Fallow, I'd now like to experience Roe stalking which a friend has offered to take me on but I'm a bit concerned that my .270 is OTT for these little beauties.
    Does anyone have experience of this calibre on Roe or any educated opinion please?
    TIA Steve

If you shoot a Roe in the shoulder with a .270 there will be a mess, but if you take a heart lung shot through the ribs you should have no problem. i have shot lots with my 270 without excessive carcass damage. Speak to YorkshireRoeStalking on here, he will have a lot more real world experience to give you a proper opinion.

no mate not at all i have two never had any bother any calibre can give damage if hit in the wrong place. i do have two loads one for woodland 150yrds in 150 grain and perform exellent on roe i also use the 130 grain to great effect i have shot them from as little as 20yrds away,atb wayne

I use my 270 on roe, when I first used it I too was expecting it to be a bit of an overkill but not in the least, didn't notice any more damage to the beasts I shot to my mates, who were using 243s, mine just twitched less!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steveh View Post
    I'm an extremely novice stalker having only had one previous outing for Fallow, I'd now like to experience Roe stalking which a friend has offered to take me on but I'm a bit concerned that my .270 is OTT for these little beauties.
    Does anyone have experience of this calibre on Roe or any educated opinion please?
    TIA Steve
    dont talk wet man !

i shoot 270 and re-load for it and i find it a pleasure to shoot . BUT i hasten to add i personally have found factory amunition a little vicious if you hit bone , but then again dead is dead !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by danpd View Post
    If you shoot a Roe in the shoulder with a .270 there will be a mess, but if you take a heart lung shot through the ribs you should have no problem. i have shot lots with my 270 without excessive carcass damage. Speak to YorkshireRoeStalking on here, he will have a lot more real world experience to give you a proper opinion.
    Spot on

No problems with the .270win. The only centre fire I've ever had. Used it on Roe, Red, and Sika.

DC

I use a .270 on roe is the best of the lot. You dont get the same meat damage as you get with factory bullets. If you load you own loads in 270 the 130 gr reloader19.