Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .17 or .22

.17 or .22

what is the difference and which is better .17 or .22

0.05 of an inch.
    Horses for courses. Both useful.

.22rf typically a 40grn solid lead bullet hits harder than .17 but distance is limited to under 100yds, with a good sound moderator and using subsonic ammunition it can be almost silent.

.17hmr uses either a 17grn or 20grn bullet, it has a flatter trajectory and travels more than twice the speed of sound but the sonic crack can't be suppressed. But you can shoot stuff much further away (if it's not too windy)
    Last edited by Si; 07-10-2011 at 19:22.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Noise and about 80+ yards range. If you shoot a lot of rabbits then a .22 is what you want. If you shoot vermin various including corvids which are hard to get close to then a .17hmr is the better choice. The .17 gives you a chance to shoot foxes at sensible ranges too. I'm sure it's been put on here many times that it is not up to shooting foxes but I have shot a few, all under a hundred yards and none have ever moved after the bullet has hit home. Hope this helps

Check out this video of a .17 HMR shooting rabbits,

I have one and agree with baguio, the HMR is great for foxes up to 100 yards. I have shot a few foxes and none of them have ever took a step forward after they were shot.

As the HMR is travelling so fast and some use the V-Max bullet there is a less risk of a ricochet as the bullet defrags easily, I use to have a .22 R/F and you would hear the the ricochets quite often, I have had the HMR for about 5 years now and I have never heard a ricochet yet.

IMHO go for the HMR.

both have there + and = points. 22lr is nice and silent where the hmr has a crack to it. but the hmr has more range and less prone to zinging off here and there like the 22lr does.

the hmr has alot more ftlb then the 22lr so it does hit alot harder then 22lr

rimfire or centerfire ?

hi ,i have both ,hardly ever use my .22 know,the .17 is much better i think, but it is much louder and you do get more foxes with it if the range is right. it a lot to do with what kind of ground i shoot on that you cant get close to them

I have been wantin to post a similar thread for a while and i'm very intrested in other folks experiences.
    I have no experience of .17s but the ranges ur talking about would a .22rf with high velocity rounds(lasers/cyclone etc) not do a very similar job.
    Also is it fair to be comparing a 22 with subsonic rounds to a .17 round which is 1 off the fastest around, in my mind like comparing an old landy to a paris dakar 4x4 both will do the job but really designed for different jobs in mind?

Around 20 odd years ago when i was keepering (before all the multitude off calibres we have now became easily available, and even before mods were legal on cf rifles) the boss had 2x .22s 1 zeroed with subs for lamping and the other with hv's for throu the day in landy and checking snares, similar to the jobs u'd use a .17 for now.

My fac is up next year and have thought about gettin a .17 but the more i think, the more i might try to get another .22 instead zeroed with hv. The positives i can see are very cheap to buy and cheap to feed and also a heavier bullet so not so prone to wind
    Be intrested to hear other opinions who have exp with 22 with hv rounds and .17's. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    I have been wantin to post a similar thread for a while and i'm very intrested in other folks experiences.
    I have no experience of .17s but the ranges ur talking about would a .22rf with high velocity rounds(lasers/cyclone etc) not do a very similar job.
    Also is it fair to be comparing a 22 with subsonic rounds to a .17 round which is 1 off the fastest around, in my mind like comparing an old landy to a paris dakar 4x4 both will do the job but really designed for different jobs in mind?

Around 20 odd years ago when i was keepering (before all the multitude off calibres we have now became easily available, and even before mods were legal on cf rifles) the boss had 2x .22s 1 zeroed with subs for lamping and the other with hv's for throu the day in landy and checking snares, similar to the jobs u'd use a .17 for now.

My fac is up next year and have thought about gettin a .17 but the more i think, the more i might try to get another .22 instead zeroed with hv. The positives i can see are very cheap to buy and cheap to feed and also a heavier bullet so not so prone to wind
    Be intrested to hear other opinions who have exp with 22 with hv rounds and .17's. cheers
    A couple of things .22 is as afected by wind it isn't talked about so much as people don't shoot over such long ranges as with 17, the second is that .22 HV has nothing like the accuracy of the .17. If you can try one do, you will be instantly converted. I have shot over 500 rabbits this summer with mine, very few misses or runners the .22 doesn't leave the cabinet much these days. You don't have to think about range so much.
    I also do not miss hearing the ricochets from .22 and before you say it you still get them when you hit the target!
    Noise is only an issue if near people , the bunnies don't give a monkeys, in fact the 'thock' of thier mate being hit by a subsonic IMO is far more disturbing than the distant crack of a .17.
    The only down side is the price of ammo.