Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: advice needed on budget scope

advice needed on budget scope

Hi all,

I have just got back from taking my mate to get his new T3 light in 6.5x55 (what else), and now he needs a scope for it.
    it came with a set of 1" optilocks so 1" tube is needed.
    I suppose his budget is around 100 and he's been looking at SIMMONS scopes on ebay but i said i'd ask your opinions as i don't know much about stuff in this price range.
    So what do you think? Bushnell/simmons/Low end Leopold
    if it was me i'd be looking for a second hand VX2 or similar but he would prefer new os opinions please,

Ezzy

I use a (can't think of the make, and it's locked in the cabinet in the loft, that's how nondescript it is!) cheap 4-16 x 50 AO. It cost 85 2nd hand. At some point I'll get something better but works for now because a) It hits what I shoot at, and b) at has already had some serious abuse, including a complete immersion in mud, and survived without me having a heart attack.

When I get to the point where I want to start pushing my effective range I might upgrade, but as a cheap workaday scope it's fine while I learn my rifle.

Have a look here good choice of 2nd hand optics.

http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/shoptics.htm

Excellent company to deal with and ask for Gregor and remember and tell him you were pointed in his direction by the stalking directory.

All the best

Ben

For plain stalking use, at that budget, I would go for a s/h Meopta Artemis 7x50 every time. I had one on my 6.5x55, and another three Meoptas at one point. The 7x50 was excellent for lamping and woodland stalking.

If he wants a cheap variable, I have a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x50 on offer for 110 (VGC, 1" tube).

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick
    For plain stalking use, at that budget, I would go for a s/h Meopta Artemis 7x50 every time. I had one on my 6.5x55, and another three Meoptas at one point. The 7x50 was excellent for lamping and woodland stalking.
    i agree with Baldrick
    decent 2nd hand meopta, i hav a 7x50 ill i bought off ebay earlier this year on my 30-06 , fantastic bargain
    stone

scope

I would stay away from second hand optics unless there is a transferable guarantee, you just don't know the abuse it has had. Simmons are very popular in USA with centrefire users, if your mate can afford a little more Weaver optics are very good.
    Mack

Davie
    I have a leupold 3 - 9 x 50 European for 150 all paperwork . But if it were me i would only put the best on all the **** ones will let you down at the most inopportune moment.

Baldrick has it perfectly.

Look around for a Meopta 7x50 secondhand.

If he needs to go now, the Burris is the best bet.

An extra 50 would help a lot, particularly for the Meopta.

CHEAPER SCOPES

I have a bushnell trophy 3-9 x 40 and a banner 3-9 x 50 both are fine. they can be found on american ebay pretty cheaply

If cash is tight but you mate wants new (ish), have a look at what Edgar Brothers have to offer - very workmanlike & up to the job. Also - if they still make them - the Nikko Stirling Platinum range.