fallow rut

the scudd

i was out yesterday evening and heard the first fallow grunt this year, thought it was a bit early. anyone else hear anything yet

yes had a prickit and a good buck defo rutting in reading area last night but not yet in northants at local forest

I was up last Saturday morn just walking with the dog on the edge of Ashdown Forest and as soon i left the garden i heard a buck croaking.
We walked into it but beat there by another dog walker.
I thought at the time, early!

Heard the first rumblings this morning near Oxford. It's time my luck changed so will be there early next weekend.

went out yesterday to try for a buck in an area where there are a lot of does, never seen any deer but was hoping to see the start of the Fallow rut.

Rutting full tilt in Midhurst area, had a sorrel and a mature buck his week, both stinking to high heaven with empty stomachs. This morning I stalked in on a buck on a stand who look completely knackered, poor lad could hardly walk. Plenty of groaning going on.

Don't you just love this time of the year !!

Only getting the first signs of the rut starting here in the west of Northern Ireland. Hopefully start and see a few more bucks about now, cos all i've been seeing is hinds and calves.

I heard the first grunting here last week. There was a fair bit on today and I saw a couple of nice bucks having an good old antler clashing match on a stand. The last 5 bucks I have shot in the last week have all been rutting, empty stomachs etc.

Heard a single buck groaning about 6 pm last night in the Elwy valley when there was nothing doing the previous night.

I heard a few grunts in south Tyrone on Friday evening, not much to speak aboout really. Should start here this week, the temperature has dropped like a stone.

Reds are just starting in Gosford, was there this afternoon with the kids, one stag holding a few hinds, another big stag was lying up with a party of about 15 hinds plus followers. He was not really fussed.

Was out in the Lockerbie area this morn and shot a pricket and a bare buck which still had a full stomach and no sign of any smell, although he was with three does.

Moose

I watched a stag I have not seen before with a harem of 9 does this AM whilst feeding, thrashing and grunting like a teenage binge drinker. Very interesting half hour.

I have not seen as many does or this stag on the ground, as only had it for 9 months. The group of 8 prickets and sorrels have vanished. Are they likley to still be skulking around or would have pushed them off?

Tabs

just starting in the south Shropshire area on the two neighboring estates but not on mine as yet sat out last night and this morning but not a sound

Think somebody has taken out all the bucks on our land:-|:-| only seen one this summer, maize has been cut so tried lamping saturday night and only saw does.
Sinbad

i am going fallow stalking for a couple of days at the end off the week in warickshire ,anybody heard anything going on up there etc ,
cheers Tom

Smaller bucks grunting in the New Forest. The big boys haven't come out the woodwork yet.

Same in North Norfolk, a good few fresh scrapes around but, no real activity on the stands yet. I'm thinking if it comes in cold this week we should start seeing some action.

ATB
Moses

Back