Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what to choose for targets ????

what to choose for targets ????

Good morning guys
    can anyone offer some sound advice on what calibre to choose for target shooting at 500yds + i use a 6.5x55 on deer but fancy something a bit different for the range i had thought 308 but not sure so any advice i will be very greatfull
    many thanks bob

Ok here is my tuppence worth:-

targets? ...................................... what type of target shooting are we talking abut here?

I mention it because for instance the NRA type target shooting requires a certain type of rifle to meet their rules and you stuck with either the .223 or 7.62x51 and iron aperture sights unless one goes to F Class then your choices are more open.

Other target types competitions have other rules and that will determine what is suitable or not.

Now please be aware that if you just ask for a target rifle and then shoot in informally and not is organised comps and can show some trophies/silverware the Plods can use this against you any time they like by simply implying your not using the rifle for it's intended purpose as they have done in my case.

They claim that as I don't have trophies everywhere there is no evidence that the rifles are shot in competiton or even in target shooting and no evidence in any success at target shooting.

Seems every one has to win silver to placate the Plods now.

Written submissions or verbal assurances from Club secretaries it seems is not enough despite there beign a few club trophies on the shelves and a line of pewter tankards from a previous club and also a engraved glass won at a BSPRC shoot, there s no evidence or my ever shootign targets in competitons and no evidence of any success at it.

Just bear that in mind

For informal and club type competions there are plenty of decent 7.62x51 chambered rifles available that will shoot probably betetr tan you can with compatible ammunition I have two full bores. A Sportco M44 with P-H target sights and a P-H 1200TX and paid under 250 for the pair of them. The 1200TX of course has the action D&T's for scope mounts and the barrel had a forward mount in case one wishes to fit an Enertl type scope.

Other members here are seriously into long range shooting and can advise on the suitable kit. I shoot for pleasure and to improve myself .................... no other reason. The little trophies have been collected along the way.

The 7.62x51 will do all you require but of course there are other choices and others can advise/help better than I on those type of shooting.

Good luck and above all enjoy the shooting.

If you dont tell the rifle what your shooting at, any calibre will do for target shooting.

This isnt a facicious answer, when I started shooting paper at Diggle, I used my stalking and foxing rifles, they were just fine untill I wanted to become more competative and start shooting particular disiplines.

I think really the answer to the question would be,

do you intend to join a club, or do you intend to shoot papaer informally on some land you have access to?

The former ; once youre a club member - you could apply for a variety of calibres depending on what type of shooting the club offers.

The latter ; you would need to justify the need for another calibre (although the swede is an excellent target calibre in its own right) and obviously comply with the requirements of your FAC with regards to zeroing.

(You need to be able to justify the need for any calibre if youre a club member too, but its a little easier to have many rifles if you "just shoot paper")

Calibre wise - 308 /7.62x51 is a good all rounder, 6m BR, 6mm PPC, 260 Rem, 6.5x47, 6.5x284, 22BR, 22/6mm/6.5mm Dashers, 284 Win, andy of the WSM and SAUM derivatives are all excellent choices for paper out to and beyond 1000 yds.

My advice would be do some research, join or at least visit a club near you and decide from there.

It largely is dependant on the depth of your wallet if things get serious and you get hooked,,,,,,,

If it were me, and I used a 6.5x55 for general use, I'd want to shoot extended ranges with that same rifle as well. What's that saying? "Beware of the man with one gun because he probably knows how to use it." Townshend Whelen, I think....~Muir

That was perfect lads
    i am amember of St Georges rifle and pistol club i will be looking to shoot Fclass.and as the guy im stalking with at the mo is a RFD he is pushing(advising) me onto a 308
    I am the 1st to admit i am a novice on the benefits of diferent calibres in F class so any advice like what has been given is invaluble BUT i take the view the more info given gives you a better understanding of your final choice
    thanks and anymore info greatfully recived
    many thanks bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyboy View Post
    Good morning guys
    can anyone offer some sound advice on what calibre to choose for target shooting at 500yds + i use a 6.5x55 on deer but fancy something a bit different for the range i had thought 308 but not sure so any advice i will be very greatfull
    many thanks bob
    Something different? The bottom two in the photo I shoot out to 600 yards with

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i phone photos 058.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	680.8 KB 
ID:	9575Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i phone photos 061.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	583.6 KB 
ID:	9574heres a f-open rifle in 7-270wsm

Stick mounts on and a decent target scope and then something like this would do to get you into it at a modest outlay:-

P-H 1200TX in 7.62x51 of course. You can see the mount bocks for a Lyman, Redfield, Tasco or Unertl target scope The action is tapped and the aperture sight firs onto where the rear scope base would go. OK I struck lucky and picked this one up for a song ....................................... less than 100 so deals are out there.

Oh yes it shoots well too .

Quote Originally Posted by David TS View Post
    Something different? The bottom two in the photo I shoot out to 600 yards with

is that middle one the FN or slr 7.62???????
    I`m afraid when i die the wife will sell my gear for the price i told her

Quote Originally Posted by mick b View Post
    is that middle one the FN or slr 7.62???????
    It's a straightpull L1a1 supplied by Anglo Custom Rifles, if I am not mistaken.

To the OP. A .308w with a decent length tube will get you most places. If you want something to go further or to compete at the top end, then it becomes a different game really.
    Last edited by Milligan; 11-10-2011 at 17:21.