Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting Geese

Shooting Geese

Wildfowl cannot be shot with lead shot. I now this applies to shotguns. My question, does it apply to sniping them with a rifle?

Don't know about sniping, but I shoot Canada's when appropriate , under licence, using soft nosed / BT's using the calibre (.223) recommended by central science lab. No issues from this, (other than a few mutterings on here a while back)
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Are these things any good to eat ??

Account Suspended
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisheruk View Post
    Wildfowl cannot be shot with lead shot
    That's not true, in Scotland.

I now this applies to shotguns. My question, does it apply to sniping them with
    a rifle?
    Oh! that is a good one, black powder and ball...... is it "shot"...... or not?

And...... could it be "shot" from a smoothbore and not from a rifle?

Conventional jacketed rifle ammo, almost certainly not "shot". IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmyth View Post
    As with any shot game, it should not be wasted.
    If you are short of some extra pie filling, you can take the breast meat off, ( if you don't wreck it), makes excellent food when mixed in with chunks of Rabbit, Venison ,Chicken , etc.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Account Suspended
    In Scotland the use of lead shot on or over wetlands is banned regardless of species... shot from a shotgun that is. We can still shoot all lawful species with lead shot when they are not on or over wetlands... and to add a spin on that.... it will surely be about where the pellets land... so even if the quarry was "on or over" so long as the shot doesn't/can't land "on" they must surely struggle to prosecute any case.

These rules, according to the published guidelines, do NOT apply to rifles, so apparently.... up here we can still "fire away" with bullets from rifles whether they be jacketed or otherwise.

Yes breast meat is very good, but you cannot sell them

would 17hmr be up to it? At say 100yds. they are copper not lead anyway.

Wildfowl cannot be shot with lead shot. I now this applies to shotguns. My question, does it apply to sniping them with a rifle?
    Yes you can use a lead bullet.

The answer you are looking for (in England) can be found (or not found as it's not there because it is not prohibited!) in Statutory Instrument 1999 No# 2170. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...9992170_en.pdf The ban in lead shot is as a result of the beleif whether true or not that waterfowl suffer from ingestion of lead shot and not the toxins resulting from birds pricked with lead shot. The more lead in the mud the more likely birdsare to suffer etc etc... This was brought in under the African Eurasian Waterbird Agreement under conservation grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmyth View Post
    Fantastic to eat, takes a we while to puck though! Skinned/breasted birds are only really good for stews etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    In Scotland the use of lead shot on or over wetlands is banned regardless of species... shot from a shotgun that is. We can still shoot all lawful species with lead shot when they are not on or over wetlands... and to add a spin on that.... it will surely be about where the pellets land... so even if the quarry was "on or over" so long as the shot doesn't/can't land "on" they must surely struggle to prosecute any case.

These rules, according to the published guidelines, do NOT apply to rifles, so apparently.... up here we can still "fire away" with bullets from rifles whether they be jacketed or otherwise.
    Is it about where the pellet lands? Can I use lead just inside the foreshroe shooting onto feild? But not in a feild shooting onto the foreshore? I have a recollection that it is not just the foreshore but a 300m exclusion around it, I'll look into it.

Ali
    Last edited by aliS; 09-10-2011 at 10:04.

would 17hmr be up to it? At say 100yds. they are copper not lead anyway.
    I would not want to suggest that this round will not do the job, but as I have mentioned, the powers that be, make .223 Rem the required calibre for the job,& unless your .17 HMR ammunition is marked as being mono metal/sintered core, then it will have a lead core. Steve.