Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The cost of breeding

The cost of breeding

Hi there I'm looking for advice that I hope u can kindly give me.I'm not sure of all the costs in breeding .I look forward to ur reply many thanks

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by bonnieandgem View Post
    Hi there I'm looking for advice that I hope u can kindly give me.I'm not sure of all the costs in breeding .I look forward to ur reply many thanks
    Breeding what?

I tend to assume Bonnie and Gem are dogs names. Not being a dog breeder myself I can only give you a reasoned guess.

You have to consider:

Purchase of suitable brood female... What breed and what arrangement you might have with the breeder who supplies her, determine actual costs.

Maintenance costs for your brood bitch, e.g. feed, vet, housing, your time, etc. from the time of her purchase until you have a litter for sale.

Stud fees, which vary greatly depending on breed.

Registration costs either with breed society and/or kennel club ... and... if you have two or more bitches which you keep to breed from commercially you will also need to be licensed by your local authority and have suitably constructed premises to operate this activity from.

All in all, I'd say... if you don't know or haven't worked out all this stuff... perhaps you should leave the complexities and responsibilities of breeding dogs to the experts. JMHO.

However, If your question is a Metaphysical one, you've lost me.

I am no 'breeder' as such but have taken the odd litter of pups to keep one myself.

If they are a breed that has issues around hip/joint/eye problems then the prospective bitch should undergo the relevant tests to at least go some way towards ensuring there is not a genetic fault that is likely to be passed on to any pups. It has been a few years since I had this done but your local vet will give you an idea of cost involved.

If you go to an owner of a stud dog who does not want a pup from you then the stud fee normally equates to the value of a pup.

Then there is the cost of registering the litter with the kennel club and the pedigrees required for each pup. If they are a breed that requires tail docking/dew claws removed, micro chips inserted and the certification it has all been done legitimately, adds further cost, again speak to your vet. Worming medication, inoculations should you have any pups left at 12weeks or so of age.

The above are costs you know you will face plus any puppy food required when they are weened from their mother.

Unknown costs however can be a minefield especially when there are complications during the birth, cesarean required, drugs and so on...

Then you may have to pay for advertising them for sale.

The time in looking after them increases as they get older and end up on 4 meals a day. Also consider how you will cope if god forbid, the bitch were to die during labour, it can happen, or she develops a medical condition that prevents her from feeding the pups. Are you in a position to find someone to help rear them or can you do it yourself?

Is it all worth it? I have always thought so. I get a lot of satisfaction from bringing on a litter and getting the choice from several as to what I want to keep.

Good luck if you do go ahead with it.
    Last edited by jamross65; 09-10-2011 at 11:58.

It would be nice to know what your breeding dogs, pheasants your wife what !!

The most expensive being the wife!
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I have bred a couple of litters for the same reason as Jamross, its great fun having pups around when the kids are young (until they have to go)....

A vetinary friend told me once that FOOLS BREED WHILST WISE MEN BUY,i recon theres some truth in this

Invest in a very good stud dog. Many years ago in the German Shepherd world I knew of one breeder who if you believe all you hear purchased a house and a boat from the services of a dog and no work involved.

If all goes well the costs involved have been covered as above but if you have problems with either the bitch or pups the vets fees can soon wipe out any profits that you consider you could make. IMO you must already have cash available just in case. Most vets won't wait till you sell your litter to be paid.

Worth remembering that vet cost associated with breeding are excluded from pet insurance. When things go well it can be a pleasure, if things go badly you can be well out of pocket with a litter of dead pups. You can do everything right and still end up with a disaster. Ironic how an unplanned litter of farm collie dogs, born in a corner of a shitty barn always seem to thrive!

You wont make any money but it is very satisfying training and working a dog you have bred yourself
    Save Water Drink Single Malt

It all depends how good looking the woman is, if she's a bit of a looker I might even give it a go for free.