Why 100m? Why 4 inch?

mel

Why is the DSC shooting test done at distances measured in metres when most rifle ranges are measured in yards? Wouldn't it be best to do the test at distances most people would practice and also zero their rifles?

I do understand that some scopes are metric based, and also that some stalkers will zero at a point blank zero distance which will be decided by their rifle/bullet/load choice to achieve a kill zone hit.

Is this just a metric/imperial arguement where we should do all things in metric to appease our euro buddies? But thinking about it - isn't it daft that you have to get a 4" group at 100m? Why aren't both measurements metric or imperial?

Just my Sunday afternoon musings.

How long is a piece of string???
Don't loose sleep over it matey.
I now use m's as all my scopes are german but my groups are still measured (hopefully) in under inches.
regards john

Believe it or believe it not the UK is now a metric based system, you try go find materials or weights in imperial in any shop. So to conduct a nationally recognised test in anything other than metric would quite probably, be illegal.

Tom

100m 10cm group has a certain flow to it!

You just know someone will point out that there is a miniscule diffence between 4" & 10cm don't you and therefore you have to use one measurement or the other for the test to be fair :lol:

Maybe the test should state an MOA for each position?

Mentioned it on another thread that always get a mental 'hiccup' when reading out instructions on the shooting test. As others have said - just one of those things.

As it is I still get my timber by asking for 4.2 metres of 3x2! I 'know' what 3x2 looks like, but mental have a hard time with the mental image of 75x50.

Embrace our quirkiness!

100m - 100mm has a better flow and mm's are better for measuring groups. In reality we should be aiming for 50 mm groups. Accuracy kills. Practice Practice and more Practice.

Probably because many tests are carried out on military ranges and military ranges were "metrified" many years ago. In some cases all that was done was to remove the yard markers and replace them with signs saying metres (100 yards suddenly became 100 metres etc.).

So what if we want to discuss some english perculiarity.....just because this is a stalking site can we not discuss wierd stalking related things! Made me smile that I wasn't the only one who had noticed it!

centimetres aren't actually part of the metric system, yes they refer to a metric amount but the metric system should only contain millimetres and metres (and KM)

Much like centigrade, shouldn't exist!

I've only been taught the metric system but will second the buying wood in inches and metric lengths.

much like the new seal licence 4 inch bull at 150 meters, problem it is a black and white bullseye target with the 2 inch ring being 1/4 inch thick the rest of the rings are lines. I got the course notes trought with a postit on the front saying that some people where having problems seeing the target with a 16x scope. I'm going to have to put some practice in on this one (not the shooting bit but the "where on the bit of paper is the target bit")

Actually as this drive to authorised training is a European thing that's why it's in metres................................. simples.

Oh and one must remember one of the very first countries to introduce compulsory training for hunting was Nazi Germany ....................................... just something to keep in mind in the head long rush to have authorisation and permits/licences for everything.

Supposedly we have a metric measuring system yet our distances are still measured in miles. No wonder the kiddies are confused and despite our wonderful schooling system there are still those leaving school who cannot use a tape measure/ruler. makes one wonder what is going on in them apart from the Politically Correct nonesence being drummed into them. Brain washing almost :rolleyes:.

Believe it or believe it not the UK is now a metric based system, you try go find materials or weights in imperial in any shop. Tom

tell that to any builders merchant selling 8x4' sheet materials! (ply board through plaster board)
Ford even specify the back of their transit vans as one of the few that can take an 8x4 flat!

tell that to any builders merchant selling 8x4' sheet materials! (ply board through plaster board)
Ford even specify the back of their transit vans as one of the few that can take an 8x4 flat!

I'm a builder and if you can find me plaster board in imperial 8' x 4' I'll buy you a pallet of the stuff !!! Its all 2400mm x 1200mm, but as a similar quirk the OSB and Ply often still comes in 8' x 4', some manufacturers are now metric though. Doesn't help when you're building a roof with sarking on top, do you cut the ply to suit or the plaster board to suit since there's an 1" 1/2 or 37mm difference ?

Award for sleepyest / most boring thread on SD for a while? Haha.

Tom

Back