Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trophy measuring

Trophy measuring

If any of you guys through good deer management has managed to get a trophy animal this year who have you had measure it, CIC or BASC ? Would love to hear your comments, experiances and which of the two have or would you use.

sikamalk or anyone

Do you know of a CIC measurer in or near Norfolk/Suffolk area

Max

Davie
    I shot a nice stag and got it done with the CIC .While they have had there problems they are still the only measures that are internationally excepted .

Hi Max I dont know any measurer in Northfolk/suffolk I have had Dominic Griffith measure for me when he was with CIC, and more recently I had him measure two CWD for me now as he is with BASC. I have just had a CWD measured by Charles Fenn of CIC, Both of these guys are in the south of England.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 x 55
    I shot a nice stag and got it done with the CIC .While they have had there problems they are still the only measures that are internationally excepted .
    I think I have seen a picture of that Stag and it was a bit more than 'nice'! Was it a Longshot????

Roebuck270 thanks for that

Were your CWD skull mounts or head/shoulder mounts
    I shot a very nice one on my ground Jan 08 and had him shoulder mounted, he had both tusks and both ears were in one piece for a change.
    I would like to have him CIC measured but how would they be able to tape the length from point of eruption, or is there a different way in the fur so to speak. The tusks measure 5cm from the top lip so how would that compare to yours and do you think its worth my trouble.
    Sorry if i'm assuming too much here but if you don't ask you don't get.
    If you have a contact no you can pass on that would be great too.

Max

Max,

Sounds like you have a nice buck. They are no longer measured from the point of eruption. The whole tusk has to be removed and the whole lengh measured. The circumferenceis also measured. PM me your mobile number if you want to chat about the scoring.

If it's just for your own satisfaction, go with BASC. If you want an internationally-recognised label, it's got to be CIC, but no doubt it will cost you more (although the medals are much more impressive if you're into that sort of thing!)

The measuring system is the same, and if people like DG are doing the BASC measurement, just as accurate. All in the eye of the beholder - the really clever one was the deer that produced the antlers/tusks in the first place anyway!