considering myself a very lucky boy

andymarsh

A note of caution to all the single handed pros out there. On friday while stalking with a client I sufferd an accident which could have ended my carer as a stalker. Having just sucessfully shot a 17st switch that had been on the wanted list for a couple of weeks we approached to find it as dead as dead, performed the gralloch, and was getting ready for the 1/2 mile drag when the stag rolled a couple of feet down the hill and got me in the eye with its antler, after several visits to doctors and the hosplital there seems to be no lasting damage, althoughtI have had to move next weeks clients to later in the week in the hope that I will be able to see by then. The scary thing is that if I had been on my own I would have been in trouble, my client helped me off the hill (he luckiliy enough was a doctor)

So a word of caution never ever take your own saftey for granted, always have a backup plan. I have been stalking my ground for 20 years but I'm sure I wouldn't have made it down on my own. My wife would have called the moutain rescue at 6pm and hopefully they would have found me, I always carry a strobe but there are no guarantees.

Very lucky by the sounds of things hope you recover swiftly, i always wonder what would happen when im out as no one ever knows where i am should the worst happen just hope i could still use a mobile !

Glad you are ok Andy.

It can happen very easily, a lad I used to work with got a brow tine in the back once whilst extracting a stag with a quad.. Not good.

I always leave times, maps, phone numbers etc with my missus before setting off especially vital where I have been stalking of late as it is very remote!

I also heard of someone local to us loosing an eye a few years ago when he approached what he thought was a dead roe. As he bent down to pull it to a better spot, it kicked out with its back leg and got him right in his eye.

Glad your ok...

I hope you have a speedy recovery mate. It is always the unexpected that gets us. Never underestimate the risk, even if you know the area well.

You are the second i know to get a tine in the eye this last week while dragging.
Good job as you say that you both were not alone. Apparently the boy needed an opperation to get sorted.
Cheers.
S.

Carry an ICE (in case of emergency) number on your phone.
It can be your Mrs, your mate, your dodtor etc....

Thanks for telling the story and glad you will be ok .A real warning to all that stalk .I know i have had a few scares over the years.

quick update the swelling is now down enough for me to open my eye (with my fingers) but the good news is can see (bit blurry) but I can see!!!!! has to be the most uncomfortable 3 days I have had in a long time. thanks for all the well wishes.

Andy

Broken Leg

2005 I slipped on a hill and broke my ankle/ leg , had to have two plates added, I was about a mile from the nearest road, if I had been on my own I would have been in trouble. As it was it was bad enough, when the ambulance arrived (some 45 mins later) they also slipped, as it happed another ambulance got flagged down by someone so I had two crews. Due to H&S they wanted to call in an Air Lift, the farmer mentioned “well I think if we put him on the bailing forks I can get him to the car park” :-| so option A wait another hour for an Air Lift or option B a Tractor Ride....I went for the Tractor.:doh:
Thing is lucky for me it was a clay shoot on some open land and many people about, had I been stalking I could have been on my own. I never go alone anymore if I can help it, if I do I tell people where I am going and when I SHOULD be home.

A lesson learned stick injuries are more common than you think, as for yourself as a single handed keeper the element of caution comes way before anything else no eye, no use no job, no house.

With switches I cut the antlers off much easier to drag without them, theres very few clients that want them any way .

I remember reading, that there is a phone number you can ring(not 999) that will take you through to emergency services. they can then triangulate your signal to locate you, but I cant find the number, someone on here must have it I guess.

I am pleased to hear that you are OK now Andy. Many years ago I was dragging a stag at Garrygualch when I slipped going downhill and the stag rolled over me and gave me such a stab in the Kidneys. Fortunately it just took the wind out of my sails for a bit and I was well recovered after a couple of large drams back in the lodge.

Hope to see you next june for the fishing and hope you will be able to see me then too...........

Paul

Slightly off topic but following trend regards beacons.

Had thought these a great idea - especially the new generation - with constant satellite monitoring etc. Was watching Doug Ritters ETS site and watching prices fall - then discovered not allowed for UK land use.

Then discovered one of the horse charities/ organisations was petitioning for their use - as usual found site about two weeks after petition closed. Shortly thereafter Govt rules out allowing them for foreseeable future on - you guessed it - cost basis.

Trying to keep an eye out if question comes up again - so if anyone hears anything, please let me know.

Back