Thread: New higher scope mounts

New higher scope mounts

Dear all can you please advoise. i have a Tikka .243 with warne scope mounts and a Schmit and bender 8x56 scope. The objestive lens is very close to the barrel and i cannot fit some butler creek lens covers to it.
    The mounts seem pretty good but i think i need higher ones. Can i just get plates to raise them or is it better to get new ones all together for stablilty.

thanks

can you afford to push the scope a little further forward? That's what I did with mine, then I got feed up with the BC covers breaking and now I just don't bother with them.

OR- Do as I did. Use a modelling knife to remove the rubber in a sort of half moon where it is nearest to touching the barrel. Now put some black insulating tape sticky side up between the barrel and scope. Use this to wrap around the remainder of the scope cover to secure it. This has been in place for several years on my rifle with no drama. Hope this is clear. It also keeps your scope as close as possible to the centre of the barrel. In fact I find all Butler Creek covers tend to work loose over time and the black tape stops them slipping about.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by buckup View Post
    OR- Do as I did. Use a modelling knife to remove the rubber in a sort of half moon where it is nearest to touching the barrel. Now put some black insulating tape sticky side up between the barrel and scope. Use this to wrap around the remainder of the scope cover to secure it. This has been in place for several years on my rifle with no drama. Hope this is clear. It also keeps your scope as close as possible to the centre of the barrel. In fact I find all Butler Creek covers tend to work loose over time and the black tape stops them slipping about.

Mark
    +1 You bet me to it buckup, spot on. Your better to keep your scope as low as possible (close)

as to high a mount can be a drawback!!

Rgds, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Is it in the name? Great Bucks think alike perhaps ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    +1 You bet me to it buckup, spot on. Your better to keep your scope as low as possible (close)

as to high a mount can be a drawback!!

Rgds, Buck.

Thanks chaps, ill look at moving it forward a bit failing that its the half moon cut and a bit of duck tape................simples when you know how

Quote Originally Posted by buckup View Post
    Is it in the name? Great Bucks think alike perhaps ;-)
    Perhaps your right, depending on which type of "MOUNT" but as they say "there all the same size lying down" !!!

Atb, Buck
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"