land rovers help

docholiday

I am a novice stalker in Hampshire looking to buy a land rover have the option of long or short wheel base both 1998 vehicles short wheel base 92,000 m private seller I know the garage who have looked after the vehicle, no known probs 3,000 pounds . the long wheel base has only 52,000 miles but is a bit of a shed as company fleet vehicle. 3,800 pounds,
apart from use for getting in and out of stalking grounds I want to use it for lamping, some people say the long wheel base is less stable being more likly to slide about and have less traction, (its very wet where I live)

anybody have any ideas

was thinking of a toyota truck, but the offer of above came up and I am fed up with all the crap from fishing and hunting being in my car when I go to work on monday, it stinks !!
Thanks for the advice will have to get something soon though
DOC

Yup I had a suzuki jeep on off the proper ones not the hairdressers specials :D
It was soft top built a roll bar out of scaff tubing big tyres awesome little tool only sold it as I got a rangey cheap

Where we used it was literally a swamp, we got it stuck on one occasion but 3 of us pushed it out up to our knees in mud !!! Try doing that with a landy no chance :lol:

Landrovers

I had a disco would do all the things i wanted it to but rolled a lot on cornering
SWB defender should do a lot more
LWB i would be worried of bottoming out
Can get spares anywhere

DOC
part of our lives revolves around stinky cars n vans ,and countryside shite!!! wish I traded in my cmax for a 4x4 , but I got grandkids to transport x3 !!! Hey thinking on it , any kid /wife friendly / go anywhere stuff out there !!! Doc Apologies for nicking your thread but it may also answer the question . Get the mrs to clean the car/ on sunday, after your shoot/ stalk. on monday it will smell nice !!I am a clever boy!!!
Trapper

I had a 110 pick-up which was OK but there was always something going wrong with it or needing doing. OK, parts are cheap but it gets a bit tiresome after a while :rolleyes:
Bought a double cab Hilux, much better bit of kit :) . Far better in mud than the 110 as it has a proper diff lock to drive both rear wheels. My landy diff lock only locked up the centre diff and if you were traversing a slope the uphill wheels would spin and you wouldn't get anywhere :eek:

Thanks guys, misses not to kean on the cleaning bit !!!!

Have been told that the older ???200 engine better anybody got an ideas ?

better shoot some deer ans rabbits after all this !

I have 300 TDi Disco for sale with just over 11 months test and 4 months tax for sale....

I am "up norf though"

163000 miles, and £1600 ono.

Have pics, service hist etc if you want more details.

thanks for the offer of the disco, but i am getting close to a deal here, just wanted to get as much info as i could
DOC

Hi Doc if you or anybody else require any landrover parts i can in most cases source the parts required .. from gearbox to light lense... I live in dorset and would be willing to help..

and finally

following above

I am just about to buy the land rover have option of three but dont know which way to go any advice welcome

1. 1998 LWB 65,000 m ex hire 1 yr mot and tax, bit tatty inside and body work moderate damage, Good runner good all terain tyres, winch
3800 pounds

2 1997 SWB 92,000 m, private but I know garage who have serviced it. very good condition folding seats in back, roof rack 12 months mot 6 months tax good runner no known probs, bit of body work paint bubbling around back lights.
3000 pounds

3. 1994 SWB needs new seats and good clean, looks as if it will scrub up ok. not used for last six months. 62,000miles 12 moths mot and six months tax good set of off road tyres
2800 pounds

any body got any more views LWB V SWB going to be used for rabbits, stalking and fishing

thanks
DOC

« Next Oldest · General Shooting Matters · Next Newest »

I've got a LP (P38) Range Rover. Lovely, but currently in bits as I have stripped
a lot of things off to do some rustproofing. Lovely to drive, will go anywhere a 110 can, but in comfort.
And the 4.6 V8 is lovely. :D

Doc
I would go for the 2nd option, if you know the garage who has serviced it, this is worth a lot.
300tdi is ok a bit more refined than the 200.
Only thing to look out for is mainly mainshaft wear on the gearbox, if there is a lot of backlash when you take up drive, it might be on the way out.
Make sure the cambelt has been done.
If you do get it take off the Cat and replace it with the downpipe that hasn't got one and then block off the EGR valve on the exhaust manifold you will get more MPG and it will go better. But swap it back for the mot, not a big job.
The turning circle is a bit like a oil tanker but you can live with that.
AND it can tow 3.5 ton

Good luck with your purchase

Jonathon

it will pass an MOT without a cat.

and Viking, your p38 didnt go down stanage last year :lol:

ok it could have but it would have needed new doors :rolleyes:

Doc, I have had a 110 and now have a 90. Both TD5. The 110 has lots more room for all your goodies but the 90 is better in tight spots.
Either way the Defender in my opinion is the best off roader that money will buy.
Proper tyres are essential. BFG all terrain or mud terrain.
If you can afford it a winch and land anchor.
Like all motors land rovers have their specific fault areas and I would make mysellf very familiar with the fault hot spots before parting with cash.

Back