Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freedom of Information Act

Freedom of Information Act

Has anyone here used the Freedom of Information Act to request to a police force that they disclose the amount of time that they take to grant, vary and renew Firearms Certificates? Any information would help.

If you're referring to Hampshire Constabulary, I do know that my renewal took 7 months and more recently a one-for-one variation took 4 months.

Move to Cumbria !
    I had mine renewed in 3 weeks but after 60 years accident and incident-free usage I did`nt get a clock. [Aug.1951 to Aug.2011.]

HWH.

Or move to Wiltshire
    Variations done while you wait, renewals can take up to three weeks with Initial grants taking a little longer at around six weeks but that depends on having the correctly filled out paperwork and the referees doing their job.

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    Has anyone here used the Freedom of Information Act to request to a police force that they disclose the amount of time that they take to grant, vary and renew Firearms Certificates? Any information would help.
    Might be a little counter-productive taking staff off the processing side onto wading through endless paperwork to answer your question.

It would appear that the Hampshire Police give a particularly bad service but to do anything about it needs to be evidence based and would also need comparative information about other constabularies, any assistance will be greatfully received

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Might be a little counter-productive taking staff off the processing side onto wading through endless paperwork to answer your question.
    if their systems are fit for purpose, it will take one person very little time to find out, as it should all be on a database, this is the Police we are talking about, if it isn't in triplicate it doesn't count!
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

It's my understanding that there have been cutbacks and the department is understaffed. Not that long ago, I used to get one-for-one variations turned around the same day and back in the post.

I'm not sure what the long term plan is, but the situation is unsustainable: backlogs are only getting bigger.

Thanks Mat, that is really useful to know.

I have just received my one for one variation back from Hampshire police which took 18 days. I think that this is quite reasonable but I do understand that others have been less fortunate