mixed brass

pete evans

just been sorting through my 308 brass

I have about 100 lapua 70 FC and will have 70 os so Norma.

What to do? Should i load up 10 of each and if they shoot to same point of aim just chuck them all in together or should I keep them seperate retiring a batch at a time?

Pete

Batch them !
They may have different internal capacities and you may find therefore that one type shoots tighter groups than the other which will be a bonus for you.

when you say batch them do you mean by manufacturer or do people batch by tighter tolerances?

Pete. In this instance I would bin the Federal cases and sort the Lapua and Norma by weight (after full length resizing), binning any that were very light or very heavy. I would then attempt to develop loads that were brand specific. Regards JCS

Pete. In this instance I would bin the Federal cases and sort the Lapua and Norma by weight (after full length resizing), binning any that were very light or very heavy. I would then attempt to develop loads that were brand specific. Regards JCS

You dont rate the federal brass? Iuse it for 243 and it seems ok. Is norma or lapua that much better?

You dont rate the federal brass? Iuse it for 243 and it seems ok. Is norma or lapua that much better?

Pete. All 3 brands will do a job for you, but you will end up with a load per brand of brass. The Federal brass may vary significantly in weight. You can easily buy more Norma or Lapua, but the only way to get Federal is to harvest it from bought ammunition. I started out using Sako brass for my .243 which I had collected over several years use of factory ammo. Now I am only using Lapua brass for loads for it.

Good luck. JCS

I agree in principle with what everyone else has said but, I would suggest that you load two rounds using each brand of case (keep all the other variable the same) then fire them into one group. I would be supprised if there is that much difference especially for field shooting purposes. There is no substitute for finding something out for yourself.

I used to sort all my brass and keep a record of how many times cases had been fired etc but I lost interest, now I just keep throwing them in a box and taking them out again until I see a problem. I do keep a good eye on case length though.

If you really want to shock yourself look at the variables in some factory rounds.

JC

Batch them and also check each individual case, even Lapua can differ. I weigh them individually.

D

Back