Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Land Proofing

Land Proofing

Any idea how the powers-that-be work out the rifle calibres that are allowed on a particular piece of land?
    I ask as, as I was filling out my FAC application, I queried with BASC the maximum calibre for the land leased from the FC, over at Kings Forest in Brandon. I was told 300 Win Mag. I told them that I wanted 9.3 x 62 but they said it was too big!
    Fair enough. But them I thought, hang on 300 Win Mag is a long distance sniper round, 9.3 is considered short range isn't it??
    When I argued this point they said that's what is allowed.
    My FLO in Hertfordshire raised his eyebrows at the round as well, so much so that I have said, if its going to caused that much of a problem I'll leave it off, and ask for a variation when I find somewhere to get the land permission later.

To further my argument, if bigger is worse, so to speak, you'd get permission for 17HMR but not 22LR despite the 17 travelling 3 times further

Any thoughts?
    You live and learn........
    .........or you don't live long

The answer is simple
    If they don't know , then they can't allow it
    It's all about having an idea and common sense
    Simple as that

Stone I know your opinion of flos from previous posts could not agree more.
    there are a few good ones.but I feel that most have no idea of what rifle can do what and why if they have not been trained in use of a rifle how can they pass judemant

do they physically walk around the permission?

I asked my FLO that. he said he usually gets the stalker/land owner to accompany them around and then he points out safe points to shoot from.
    That sounds like teaching you to suck eggs for those of you who have been doing this for some time!!

I must admit I'm no expert, but I managed to completely bamboozle him regrading calibre's, muzzle velocities and bullet weights.

It is a sad fact that most Police FLOs and firearms officers have little prior firearms experience. I know some forces discriminate against officers having an interest in firearms from going into those departments! Weird!
    You live and learn........
    .........or you don't live long

i asked my fao if she did any shooting when she was here doing my renewal 2 years ago, she said she didnt know one end of a rifle from another, she was only there to tick boxes and check serial numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Scots_stalker View Post
    i asked my fao if she did any shooting when she was here doing my renewal 2 years ago, she said she didnt know one end of a rifle from another, she was only there to tick boxes and check serial numbers
    Which is hundred percent correct would you really want a FLO knowing anything about shooting and or stalking have the people on here wouldn't have any weapons at all, long may it continue .

The 9.3 is far to big for the UK no matter what you think, look at the pre requisite tables on the home office guidelines which gives you the gist of the requirements for the UK deer stalking .

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    Which is hundred percent correct would you really want a FLO knowing anything about shooting and or stalking have the people on here wouldn't have any weapons at all, long may it continue .

The 9.3 is far to big for the UK no matter what you think, look at the pre requisite tables on the home office guidelines which gives you the gist of the requirements for the UK deer stalking .
    A far better way of saying this, would have been , have you any quarry on your lease that requires this calibre,? there isn't a rifle calibre too big for the UK, some people shoot .50's I hear!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Honestly I don't know how you guys put up with the limitations you have put on you. Having land physically checked by the police, restrictions on what cal's can be used on what land, restrictions on what game can be shot with what rifle (foxes with this, deer with that), restrictions on what type and quantities of ammo you can possess, restrictions on expanding projectiles, variations that take forever to get, it's mind boggling. No matter what anyone says, we have considerably more freedom with our firearms laws here in Australia than you guys have. And we still complain about our laws all the time!

I also find it interesting that some of you guys agree with or wouldn't oppose further regulation like having to do DSC to take deer.

I'm not having a go at you guys, I'm sympathising with you. It does make one realise how good we have it here.

Sorry to go off topic, but with each thread I read about the number of hoops you guys have to go through, the bewilderment at your laws increases!
    Last edited by scott9.3x62; 11-10-2011 at 04:17.

Scott, if only it was that simple....

Not only do we have to contend with all that you mention above, but each individual county police force has there own set of "sub laws" some of them will allow smaller calibres such as .17hmr for fox control and others won't. Then again there are FEO's out there who think .243 is overkill for a fox.
    Then there's the 1for1 variation where you have authority to own say a .223rem but you decide to trade it in for another of the same calibre.... not as easy as it sounds. You must complete an application stating your intentions and submit it to the firearms department which can take a month or so, by that time the rifle you had your eye on has gone!!!

The land issue is something we have learned to accept, although no one agrees with it. North of the border in Scotland they consider it to be impractical for FEO's to walk the ground so it is overlooked. I mentioned to a keeper up there when I was applying for FAC that I was waiting for the land to be cleared.... "WHAT!!!" so I explained that the FEO visit's the ground where I intend to shoot and checks it for suitabilty. His reply - "you tekin tha pesh laddie?"
    Last edited by Si; 11-10-2011 at 07:19.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox