Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fresh venison courier

Fresh venison courier

Ok Chaps. Heres one. Due to the strange laws of this land I can only sell my game within a 30 mile radius of the shoot , but I can send it anywhere in the country if it is ordered on a web site. So the question is who do I use a courier for fresh game. Any help would be great.

Many thanks in advance

Mark
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

Have a look at food and perishable good couriers online such as these:
    http://www.courierkent.org.uk/uk-delivery-food.html
    You would also do well to explore the Wild venison Project as they will more than likely give you 50% funding towards a refrigerated van if you could justify one!
    MS

Unfortunately the WVP is for the East of England only at the moment,but,they are supposed to opening up to the rest of the Country some time earlyish in the new year.

Quote Originally Posted by re'M'ington View Post
    Unfortunately the WVP is for the East of England only at the moment,but,they are supposed to opening up to the rest of the Country some time earlyish in the new year.
    He's in Norfolk and would therefore qualify.
    But, you're right, they might be opening it up nationally soon.
    MS

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Mark

I take it you're talking butchered venison, not whole carcases?

I don't know that it helps, but I recently ordered some Great Glen Game venison products from British Fine Foods (www.britishfinefoods.com/) and the delivery was made via Parcelforce. BFF pack the items in an insulated cardboard box with a frozen pouch to keep things cool for a day or two. I see that the Wild Meat Company (http://www.wildmeat.co.uk/?ac=EAH86-M) use Parcelforce as well.

If it's processed food, then Scottish Jerky (http://www.scottishjerky.com/) use Royal Mail "Signed For" deliveries.

willie_gunn
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 11-10-2011 at 07:51.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Lincs Wild Venison Company (http://www.lincolnshirewildvenison.co.uk/deliveryinfo/) use a courier with insulated iced boxes. Boxes are 5 each I seem to recall. The normal courier is ParcelForce.

Been there, got the t-shirt.

Insulated boxes cost 3.00 + each, min order is about 300, need a big clean store to keep the boxes in, courier costs (non-refridgerated, 24hr) are about 10 per box, impossible to find a refridgerated courier, you need to be there when they are collected, the customer need to be in to recieve them, couriers are about as reliable as a babys bum, don't even get me started on Parcel Farce!

Every order will need about five emails or phone calls to discuss with the housewife what the best way to curry half a kilo of diced venison is. Obviously these calls will have to take place in the evening. They will want roe when you have fallow, red when you have sika, rabbits when you have muntjac and some will disagree with venison anyway because of the poor baby cows in the crates.

If you have one parcel lost or delayed and have to refund the customer it will wipe out any profit on that you might have made on the previous twenty deliveries.

Ps, if you want to buy boxes, I have about 250! call me on 07825 972249 (seriously!)

Yes, there is funding available from the East Anglian Venison project but get your ideas in before you do anything, it is very limited hence the reason that they still have 800,000 to give away.

Basically, if you are starting from scratch in a shed (or if you are Ben Rigby), you should be ok.

If you are already doing most things well and have already invested many thousands of pounds in your larder, chiller, vehicles etc then there doesn't seem to be much they can do for you.

Glyn.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Glyn

Ouch!! What a nightmare.

To be fair, all the stuff I ordered turned up as promised. I wasn't in when the box from BFF turned up, so I had to go the next day to the local sorting office (fortunately only 3 or 4 miles away) and pick it up. The stuff inside was still chilly!

P.S. go on then, spill the beans, what is the best way to curry half a kilo of diced venison??

Dom
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I could give you the recipe Dom but its been written for a pound of venison only

Tony
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Bloody hell Dom, if you want venison prepared to your own specification just give me a shout. I have my own Venison business as well.

HME