not very humane dispatch

neil b

talking to a friend/neighbour whom should no these things? about a water bufferlo involved in a RTA armed responce where called to dispatch the stricken beast only the car that attended was only equiped with .223 and fmj ammo. I no some cars carry 7.62 but apparently it took five shots to the head to dispatch the poor animal any thougths:confused:

Yes, a couple..
WTF is a water buffalo doing in Chesterfield??:confused:
Police aren't normally permitted to dispatch animals which is why the likes of us get called out.
However, 5 shots or just 1 is irrelevant if it is still the quickest way to end suffering I reckon. The main problem is that untrained persons don't appreciate the exact location of the brain.
MS

any thougths:confused:

Yeah, I could save a whole pile of money on a safari by just going to Chesterfield. Are there many more of them?

I guess I now need a condition on the FAC for deer and "water buffalo in the Chesterfield area." Does anyone know if this is a standard condition or will it be another made up one?

I feel a whole new thread coming on - ideal cartridge for water buffalo near Chesterfield.

Just out of interest, where on earth is Chesterfield? No reason.

I wonder if one was called by the police or animal welfare to dispatch this animal for them and you turned up with a .223 and then took the five shots to kill the beast, how long would it be before you were called into question about whether you really fit to shoot game.

Paul

Last edited:
That's the shooters fault - not the calibre.

A 22rf at point blank will kill a water buffalo. A 223 FMJ would damn near blow its head off?

Glad to hear that the rain has been bad down your way as well. Fields are very very wet but the water buffalo have not arrived yet. :D

Unfortunately out of the big five we only had a couple of herds of elephants the last month. Another ranger in Preston claims he saw a few black rhinoceros in an asda car park but I think it is too early for them to rut.

:)

The caliber was more than suitable for the job. As Eyefor said, a 22RF would do the job. I have unfortunately had to shoot several large angus bulls. All well over a ton. It sounds like the shooter was to blame in this instance.

Regards, Dan.

You joke about it but last time I visited my stalking ground in Sussex, we pulled into the layby and there were elephants in the field :eek: It turned out that the land owner had allowed the Circus to use his field.

Shame they were not covered on the your lease then :D imagine rocking up at home after a days stalking and the mrs saying " did you have a nice day, did you get anything?"

then producing an Elephant out the back of the truck ready for a shoulder mount to go in the front room :lol:

Shame they were not covered on the your lease then :D imagine rocking up at home after a days stalking and the mrs saying " did you have a nice day, did you get anything?"

then producing an Elephant out the back of the truck ready for a shoulder mount to go in the front room :lol:

You would need a big truck! This bugger had to be butchered before we could move it!
P1000022.jpg

.223 (Soft point ) is more than up to the job, had to do a ruminant once, I really shudder to think why they would let fly with FMJ, instead of as in an earlier reply, resort to the hand gun.

Hoping the shot is in the right pace for you guys, hate to think what the effects would be with a get up & charge defence from the animal !!!!!!! :scared:

If it was going to get up & charge, surely it would not be "stricken" in an "RTA", I don't reckon a double tap from a sidearm would give it the urge to get up after all the preceding.

Well as Im one of the very few to shoot dangerous game in this country ie North American Bison, I have had this debate with the police. I use a 308 but a 223 with fmj would do the job at close range as long as you hit the atlas joint. But saying that nothing compares to a big heavy soft point bullet. As the police proberly asumed it would do the job when they arrived.

Back