Old powder.

monynut

l have an old tin of Reloader 7 sitting in the cabinet, its probably been there for at least 10 years do you guys think it will be safe to use, what are the signs of deteriation l should be looking for, or should l just dispose of it if so whats the best method of safe disposal.

old powder

Powder lasts for ages and ages, especially if it is still sealed or the lid is screwed down nice and tight. if you give it a sniff it will be acidic if it has gone off, not to mistake this with the acetone smell it normally has.

i have used old nobel powders from the 70's providing it smells ok and doesn't have lots of powder come off it when poured you will be ok.

swampy

monynut said:
l have an old tin of Reloader 7 sitting in the cabinet, its probably been there for at least 10 years do you guys think it will be safe to use, what are the signs of deteriation l should be looking for, or should l just dispose of it if so whats the best method of safe disposal.

I have some 1960's vintage H-4831 and IMR 4350 that I still use! As Swampy said: If it smells like acetone it's OK. If it's been in the tin in a reasonably dry spot I'd be certain of it.~Muir

Most Du Pont ans IMR powder was actually manufatured circa WW2 and as long as stored correctly works fine. I bought all my powder 20+ years ago and it works fine.

If you do wish to dispose of any, shake it on the lawn it is the best nitrate fertilizer going and completely safe to do so as it washes in first splash of rain.

Back