Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5x51 aka 6.5-08

6.5x51 aka 6.5-08

Has anyone ever made one of these?

I've been thinking (dangerous I know, and if you could smell wood smoke, that's why...) and it might just be a reasonable idea...

Does anyone know what the performance is like? Would does it still work with the effectiveness of the Swede but with cheaper brass and going into a shorter action?

Just my musings and be interesting to hear your thoughts...

Scrummy

Without being smart, do you mean a 6.5/08 as opposed to a 260rem??
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Without being smart, do you mean a 6.5/08 as opposed to a 260rem??
    No idea, just wondering if such a thing existed...

Was musing last night: 6.5 Swede, excellent calibre but has relatively expensive brass and is a long actioned rifle (adds cost with some manufactures). -08 derrived cases, cheap brass galore and plenty of short actions.

Is a .260 Rem basically a 6.5-08? (Please explain slowly, not an expert on calibres or wildcats by any means!)

Scrummy

That is exactly what a 260rem is, a 6.5mm bullet on a 308 case. There is one is the safe about six feet away from where I am sitting. I make my brass from 243 Lapua, but you can buy factory 260 brass and ammo.

There may be some small differences between the 260 and a 6.5/08, but a full length resizing die will sort that out in 2 seconds flat.

The dogs nutz.
    Brian.

Can a standard tikka .243 be converted to 260rem via a re-barrel & blueprinting job?

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    Can a standard tikka .243 be converted to 260rem via a re-barrel & blueprinting job?
    Of course, but there may be little need for blue printing. I would do it on an older 590 or 595 rather than a T3 though.

Mine is on a Sako 75 size III action.
    Brian.

I am sure Claret will qualify this, but to get the most out of a 260 with heavier bullets 140gn plus I thought you needed to build it on a long action receiver, if you use a short action you have to compromise the powder capacity in the case because you have to seat the bullet too deep in the case to feed from the magazine???

ATB

Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post
    I am sure Claret will qualify this, but to get the most out of a 260 with heavier bullets 140gn plus I thought you needed to build it on a long action receiver, if you use a short action you have to compromise the powder capacity in the case because you have to seat the bullet too deep in the case to feed from the magazine??? Tahr
    Tahr. Russell Gall fitted one of these in the 260 Rem in my gallery. http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproduc...eItemID=993148 I have quite a good long range load with 140 Amax and N165 which feeds from the magazine. Have shot it out to 900yds. Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    PKL. The 260 Rem in my gallery was a .308 when I bought it and got it shipped to Russell Gall. Hope the mist is keeping off the hills for you. Regards JCS

Hi JCS

I see that to get the extended magazine to fit a Remmy 700 requires Installation requires alterations to the receiver, bolt stop and ejection port. Therefore a rifle built on a standard short action would compromise the usefulness of the 260 cartridge? I know my mate has a BAT action target rifle in 260 and this is a long action.

ATB

Tahr