Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DURACOAT

Davie

DURACOAT

For any one who is thinking of doing a diy job the paint used buy most coating companies is now on sale here you wont get the same colour choice but they do have the blacks browns and greens .
    At HOMEBASE

Not my thing but for the snipers out there

whats the best way of using it? do you need a under coat of some sort?
    preperation of any kind? and can it be removed if you grow out of the Tom Berenger faze? lol

There was a lengthy debate on this product on Varminting. Apparently this product on sale at homebase is not the same gun coating product known as DURACOAT. Its just the name given to there general purpose spray paint.

Ads

Davie
    Auquhollie and dose that make it a correct discussion mate it is the same stuff and when James Clark replies who was the tester and the person backing his product what can you expect he makes 200 a time from one tin of paint (if he replies ) the competition winner i will prove it because i will test both. Now to prepare i am told a full degrease and spray and after it has been done make sure it gets as long as possible to cure.
    ps it comes off slowly over ware and will need repainted after a season or two. you cant take it all off with dipping in thinners ad i don't know if that's good for your rifle,

Du-Coat firearms finishes was originally developed for use by the military to protect their small arms when being used in harsh conditions such as seaborne landing by special forces. All the pretty patterns are an addition to its originally intended purpose.

The Du-coat being sold at B and Q is not the same product by a longshot, it is not resistant to firearms solvents, in tests posted on “Varminting UK”, “Shooters choice” dissolved the B and Q paint. My own rifle was one of the first to be Du-Coated in this country and no solvent I have used has had any effect on it, which on a product that has been designed to be used on a firearm is no less than you would expect.

By all means buy the B and Q paint but do not kid yourself that it is a proper firearms coating product, this was all very well aired on the Varminting UK site and Dave is not doing anybody any favours by trying to persuade members of this site that it is something that it is not.

Best rgds

Tahr

I am no expert here but I cannot believe the B&Q stuff is anywhere near the same product.

If you want to talk yourself into thinking it is then fine but you get what you pay for in my opinion. An old addage but very true.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 x 55
    Auquhollie and dose that make it a correct discussion mate it is the same stuff and when James Clark replies who was the tester and the person backing his product what can you expect he makes 200 a time from one tin of paint (if he replies ) the competition winner i will prove it because i will test both. Now to prepare i am told a full degrease and spray and after it has been done make sure it gets as long as possible to cure.
    ps it comes off slowly over ware and will need repainted after a season or two. you cant take it all off with dipping in thinners ad i don't know if that's good for your rifle,

Interesting post 6.5x55, especially on an open forum for the world to see :

Are you claiming, as the above quote suggests, that the Homebase spray paint and the product manufactured by Lauers in the USA is the SAME product?

You also post that you will "test" the two products, which independant laboratory do you intend to commission to conduct these tests - may we see the lab reports?

If you conduct the tests yourself, can you say that you have been trained to apply both products in the manner prescibed and recommended by the makers, have you recieved / undertaken the manufacturers training course in each products application?

I also (like previous posters) have rifles coated with the Duracoat product (from Jager Sporting Arms) - two of them having seen extensive and regular use in some really poor conditions and have yet to see the coating "wear (or ware ) off over a season or two"

I look forward to your replies - as I am sure do the legal teams from Homebase, Jager Sporting Arms and Lauer Custom Weaponry

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 x 55
    You are having a giraffe mate. Let sleeping dogs lie. Its not the same product and your kidding yourself if you really and truly think it is?. As if homebase would be mixing up and selling DURACOAT a firearms coating spray already patented by another company.

Ads

I may be wrong but is Dura Coat not a two pack..

regards
    griff