Thread: .17 hornet

.17 hornet

see that the .17 hornet touted in the usa as the new varmint round gives figures of around 3600fps with a 20grn v max head ,good round for fox over here?.might get a bit more out of reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by derek.snr View Post
    see that the .17 hornet touted in the usa as the new varmint round gives figures of around 3600fps with a 20grn v max head ,good round for fox over here?.might get a bit more out of reloads.
    Nothing new about it! I shot one 30 years ago! No, you won't get a lot more out of reloads as currently, reloads are all that there are. The 17 Ackley Hornet maxes out at 3500+ with a 20 grain if I remember correctly. I hear the rumblings of Ruger coming out with a 77/ 17Hornet but I doubt if they will push it past the 45KCUP pressure listed for the Hornet. As to fox, surely better than the 17HMR so many people feel is adequate for fox.~Muir

if you want more info on sub calibers try www.saubier.com/forum.html

its the small calibre equivalent of SD!!!!

according to guns and ammo mag ,hornady now produce it as a factory round.

there are lots of good .27 calibre cf's out there. depends which one suites your needs.

myself i couldnt be doing with the fire forming of some of them. I would prefer to load up a 17 rem or 17 rem fireball and have great performance.
    with out the case forming. or running through different dies.

Quote Originally Posted by derek.snr View Post
    according to guns and ammo mag ,hornady now produce it as a factory round.
    So I have heard. Nice! That will help a lot of guys to get up and running. My partner has a Browing A-Bolt hunter, custom, in 17 Hornet. Great round. Will you bite on one when available in the UK?? Way better than a HMR if you ask me.~Muir

If didnt have a 17 Rem, i would be all over the 17 AH. It was only the case prep that put me off. It should be a perfect fox, rabbit and crow round and i bet it sells a fair few in the uk

does anybody know if the 17 hornet has arrived yet